• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Was there a Victoria to South Tottenham service in 1892?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogercov

While helping a colleague with family history etc., I came across a newspaper article from 1892 reporting an inquest on a solicitor who had an unfortunate accident on his way home from work. He was travelling from Farringdon Street to Highgate Road and was a bit late getting off. He attempted to alight while the train was pulling away and lost his footing.

According to Wikipedia, there was a regular Midland Railway service from Moorgate to South Tottenham at that time. However, this newspaper article refers to the train as the "Victoria and South Tottenham train". Were there such services from Victoria via Snow Hill? Were they run by the Midland Railway?

The train in question arrived at Highgate Road at 8.37pm on 26th October 1892. Does anyone have access to the timetables from that period? It would be really nice to have a scan of the page showing that actual train. Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

etr221

Quick answer- yes. Timetable World has an 1895 Bradshaw - you want page 160 (LCDR end) or 364 (Midland end: 'City and Suburban Line - Victoria, Moorgate St and St Pancras to South Tottenham and Hendon') - there is a 7 32 aft Victoria to South Tottenham & Stamford Hill, calling Highgate Road for Parliament Hill 8 24 , note d - run through without change. Another note says 'Midland train - 1st & 3rd class' [which I think is saying 'not 2nd class', which an LCDR train would have had].

rogercov

Quick answer- yes. Timetable World has an 1895 Bradshaw - you want page 160 (LCDR end) or 364 (Midland end: 'City and Suburban Line - Victoria, Moorgate St and St Pancras to South Tottenham and Hendon') - there is a 7 32 aft Victoria to South Tottenham & Stamford Hill, calling Highgate Road for Parliament Hill 8 24 , note d - run through without change. Another note says 'Midland train - 1st & 3rd class' [which I think is saying 'not 2nd class', which an LCDR train would have had].
Thanks very much for that. It's very helpful.
As you say, the 7:32 from Victoria looks about right. The newspaper does say that he alighted at Highgate Road at 8:37. I'm guessing that the timings were changed between 1892 and 1895. He was on a Midland train and he was travelling 1st class, which was probably not unusual for "professional" commuters.
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.