Water supplies for preserved steam locos

Discussion in 'Railtours & Preservation' started by Trackbedjolly, 26 Sep 2019.

1. Cowley

Cowley Established Member

Thank you. It does help.
    Welcome to the forum too.

2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Member

Water treatment existed in BR days. Bulleid certainly introduced a French(?) based system on the Southern. IIRC this was replaced with a BR system in the mid 1950s.

3. 341o2

341o2 Established Member

Steam loco boilers have to be regularly washed out to prevent buildup of sludge and scale

Source http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/basic14.htm

4. HOOVER29

HOOVER29 Member

Always swilling out our kettle.
    Very hard water here in North West Leicestershire.
    Generally last about 6 months before a trip to the bin

5. AndrewE

AndrewE Established Member

Quite, and I would have thought that "half-way up a mountain" is actually quite a good description of where you might find them. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_line_settlement

Are you sure that the spring doesn't just add to what lands from the rain in that area? I would like to read a reference, as quick googling only mentions the rain and the bog!

6. AndrewE

More likely to be briquettes of water treatment chemicals. Lime would just make the problem worse, unless it was to treat very acid water coming out of a bog.
    BR water treatment contained all sorts of things, including Tannins (bark extracts) and the intention was to keep impurities as a mobile sludge either in the tender or in the boiler so that it could be blown down and/or washed out, rather than accumulate as limescale on the heating surfaces. Treatments may have been varied for different waters, and I'm sure water troughs were supplied with treated water... The LMS treatment plant shell near Hanslope (?) survived until quite recently.

7. Llanigraham

Llanigraham On Moderation

Yes I am quite sure, thank you. Whilst it might rain a bit up here it isn't that much. There are plenty of small springs feeding into the bog.

8. bazzoh

bazzoh New Member

Thank you and you’re welcome!

9. AndrewE

No evidence or back-up for that assertion then?
    Springs usually come from permeable rock where it overlies an impermeable layer, and the top of upland Wales is definitely not noted for aquifers! I suspect there are lots of trickles from mossy or peaty patches higher up though.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/z327gdm/revision/4 says
    but maybe there is a miraculous local microclimate and geology that you know about
    I really would be interested in the source of your information that there are springs feeding the bog, because if it as you say then it is quite noteworthy and should be more widely publicised.

10. Llanigraham

Llanigraham On Moderation

Fine, if you say so, but I now what I see when I go up there, and I do only live a couple of miles from the source.

11. option

option Member

There is one with a new carriage shed, where they collect the rainwater from the roof & pipe it to a tank.

12. philthetube

philthetube Established Member

The Achensee lake railway in Jenbach, Austria gets it's water from the lake at the top, the loco connects to a pump and the steam is used to power the pump and fill the loco.

Unfortunately I cannot fine any links of pich concerning thes but there must be something about.

13. michaelh

michaelh Member

And also had a similar installation at Ty Dwr on the Mineral Extension.

14. michaelh

michaelh Member

It was at Aberffrwd on the Vale of Rheidol.

15. Midnight Sun

Midnight Sun Member

A project has been drawn up to rebuild the recovered a redundant stone built LSWR water tower from near Salisbury station at Swanage and install a spring water extraction system. The project is underway but still need funds to complete the project. This is the subject of a appeal. Once built and the extraction system installed and working. Wessex Water will be very unhappy.

16. Cowley

Cowley Established Member

Why would they not be happy then? Is it because they’ll not be receiving the (presumably high) income from a metered water supply?
    If the Swanage are using their own spring would they only have to pay Wessex Water some kind of standing charge (a bit like if you have a bore hole on your property)?

17. Belperpete

Belperpete Member

As has already been pointed out, Dolgoch tank is fed from a stream, not a spring. The just-giving page for Ty Dwr says that this was fed from a stream, not a spring:
    Ty Dwr (Water House) was built where the new railway crossed over an upland stream rushing down the hillside of Foel Fach to meet the Gwernol just below Hendre barn on the outskirts of Abergynolwyn. For the McConnels (builders of the Talyllyn Railway) this was an ideal source of free water that never dried up even in the driest of summers.
    https://www.justgiving.com/campaign...SWFgtc0uSp2PVmG4G-ftVMFPQR9ZtjuyQi45ffFGfztfM