• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Waterloo and City line trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonah Kemp

On Moderation
Why do the Waterloo and City line trains need to be replaced? They are in better nick than the centrals and not that old and the line isn't busy compared to the Central and Piccadilly lines? I understand the Bakerloo trains need to go because they are old... But I don't understand why the Waterloo and City line??

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSE

Established Member
I guess you have to think about the cost of non standard. Adding an additional five or six trains to the order for the W&C is drop in the ocean considering the order as a whole. Plus you’d have five/six 92 stock left and any spare parts wouldn’t be shared with the Central line etc. so you’d be keeping fitters and maintenance for a small fleet. Plus I believe that Central Line drivers operate the W&C on rotation so you’d have to have them trained on two types of traction. I guess it’s just easier to change them with the Central.

act94

By the time the final 92 stock is withdrawn (2040 is my guess) the W&C trains will probably be in a lot worse condition than they are now.

321over360

Back when the Waterloo and city got the 1992 stock, the NSE order for them was an add on for the LU Central Line order. So any Central Line replacement would have add on fleet for the Drain too, plus with it driven by Central Line drivers since LU took the line in 1994 it makes sense to have just 1 fleet for driver knowledge rather than 2 fleets, that way if a driver is spot placed on the Drain but hasn't driven a 1992 stock in a while then it will cause problem if they only remember the NTfL

zwk500

Veteran Member

Tim M

Will the line become driverless upon the next fleet replacement?
The W&C could have had the same interlocking (WESTRACE), ATP and ATO as the Central Line but the signalling was a completely separate Contract between Westinghouse and BR not LU. Instead relay interlockings and (AFAIK) train stops were installed. The two design teams at Chippenham literally sat side by side. A bit of ‘not invented here’ I’m afraid.

Lewlew

The cab was originally meant to be removable when they upgraded the signalling etc and implemented full driverless trains. But it is now no longer removable and is just a standard cab.

Status
Not open for further replies.