• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Waterloo - Maesteg services?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Hello all,

Does anyone on here remember the London Waterloo - Maesteg services ran (I think) by Wales and Borders using 158s, does anyone remember the stopping patters and the route?

I thought it went via Kenny O (sure I saw that in a SimSig TT) but I always wondered if it was non stop from Bridgend to Maesteg or weather it actually called at all the shacks up there?

I would try and find a TT for it but can't remember which year TT I have to find...

Cheers,

James.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
If you're talking 80s I could find out for you, I've got all the BR timetables from then, if its more recent (early-2000s) I could look too. Would probs be Bridgend, Tondu, Maesteg E Rd, Maesteg. :D

tbtc

Veteran Member
You mean the random Alphaline services to Waterloo (which required seat reservations beyond Bath)?

Quite a lot of places served by them - including Manchester and Carmarthen IIRC. Replaced by SWT to Bristol.

welshdragon

tbtc is right in that there was a West Wales - Waterloo return that ran via Bristol, Bath, Westbury, Salisbury, Andover, Basingstoke, Clapham Junc (to set down only Salisbury - Waterloo_ and return. Seemed to recall it running through Cardiff around 13.00 on it way up.

The overnight diagram was (if I recall) Cardiff - Waterloo and travelled via Bristol Parkway, Swindon, Reading and Kensington O. On the return it went to Maesteg before forming a service to Manchester Picc and then back to Carmarthen (some diagram).

Certainly the stops in S Wales were Newport, Cardiff C, Pontyclun, Pencoed (Llanharan had not opened then), Bridgend, Wildmill, Sarn, Tondu, Maesteg Ewenny Rd and Maesteg.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'm sure a train did run from Carmarthen, and possibly even Milford Haven, to Waterloo for a while.

My favourite random act of timetabling was I think rather short lived! Following the withdrawal of FGW HST's from the ngihtt ime Fishgyard service, i travelled back on a 158 (with a trolley service!) from fishguard to Swansea. The trolley attendant told me that the train would run to Cardiff and then on to Holyhead! I thought he was joking,m but checked when i got home and it was indeed timetabled as running Fishguard harbour to Holyhead!

delt1c

Established Member
Used a service a few times from waterloo to Cardiff central (Cant remember what its ultimate destination was.
From memory it went via Kenington Olympia Ealing , Reading , Bath, Bristol where it reversed. then via severn tunnel to cardif. Always a 158 and quite a lively run on the GWML

TheWalrus

Established Member
i believe it called at lawrence hill and stapleton rd! Not forgetting Chippenham and Didcot! I reckon this was replaced by the 0530 pad-swa. Im sure it didnt call at Kensington!

anthony263

Established Member
i believe it called at lawrence hill and stapleton rd! Not forgetting Chippenham and Didcot! I reckon this was replaced by the 0530 pad-swa. Im sure it didnt call at Kensington!

I think the 05:30 was also running at that time anway, i think this service was introduced to provide a link to the eurostar at waterloo international.

Pity this service isnt running now as it would provide an interesting link from South Wales to London
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
tbtc is right in that there was a West Wales - Waterloo return that ran via Bristol, Bath, Westbury, Salisbury, Andover, Basingstoke, Clapham Junc (to set down only Salisbury - Waterloo_ and return. Seemed to recall it running through Cardiff around 13.00 on it way up.

The overnight diagram was (if I recall) Cardiff - Waterloo and travelled via Bristol Parkway, Swindon, Reading and Kensington O. On the return it went to Maesteg before forming a service to Manchester Picc and then back to Carmarthen (some diagram).

Certainly the stops in S Wales were Newport, Cardiff C, Pontyclun, Pencoed (Llanharan had not opened then), Bridgend, Wildmill, Sarn, Tondu, Maesteg Ewenny Rd and Maesteg.

I think this unit after coming off the overnight diagram formed the 09:17 Maesteg - Coryton services then worked to Canton

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Recall the service Manchester to Waterloo, via Shrewsbury/Hereford etc, this train if I recall bypassed Newport on its way to Bristol, this little used service was soon withdrawn,it took
around 6 hours on a good day, but was plagued with failing , it ran two coach 158 to connect with Eurostar.

flymo

Established Member
From the summer 2003 timetable the 0505 Waterloo - Maesteg service called at:

Waterloo
Reading
Didcot Pkwy
Swindon
Chippenham
Bath Spa
Bristol TM
Lawrence Hill
Stapleton Rd
Filton Abbey Wood
Newport
Cardiff C
Pontyclun
Pencoed
Bridgend
Wildmill
Sarn
Tondu
Garth
Maesteg (Ewenny Rd)
Maesteg

It may have called at Kensington Olympia but can't find a time for it. Mondays it is shown as starting from Reading.

Last edited:

TheWalrus

Established Member
I think the 05:30 was also running at that time anway, i think this service was introduced to provide a link to the eurostar at waterloo international.

I heard it was too :) Was the 0530 running then :? that's interesting...

flymo

Established Member
Flymo have you the times of the Manchester/Waterloo service & stops.

Attached is a timetable I cobbled together from the summer 2003 timetable.

Hope it is of interest and more important hope it is right. It was done in a bit of a rush. :D

Attachments

• MANWTL.PNG
    MANWTL.PNG
    34.9 KB · Views: 137
Status
Not open for further replies.