• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML and Class 180

Status
Not open for further replies.

trubla

Interesting view this evening, Grand Central's 180 101 heading south down the WCML on the delayed then retimed 5Z80 LOngsight to Heaton. Don't remember seeing a Grand Central liveried unit working on the WCML before. But as sure someone out there will correct me if I'm wrong . Also an interesting route from Manchester to Newcastle tho via Nuneaton then Derby, Barrow Hill Doncaster etc. Surely there must have been a shorter route?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

At a guess given how in bed with each other GC and XC are it will be an XC driver route conducting, which might explain the odd route.

dangie

Established Member
Saw it a few days ago at Rugeley Trent Valley heading north.

Note: Real Time Trains says: This service was cancelled between Stafford and Heaton T&R.S.M.D. due to a problem at the depot (MU)

Last edited:

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Passing through Stafford today I noticed a GC 180 sitting in platform 5; I did think where it could possibly be going. A similar situation to the previous posts I presume?

Established Member
AIUI, 175s or 180s are not cleared for Manchester to Leeds via Huddersfield and hence an alternative route has to be taken to get the GC 180s to Alstom's depot at Longsight for maintenance.

I've seen 3 GC 180s passing through Leicester in the past year on similar moves, and I'm sure there have been more as well.

I think DCR provide drivers, not sure where I heard that though.

Last edited:

Condor7

AIUI, 175s or 180s are not cleared for Manchester to Leeds via Huddersfield and hence an alternative route has to be taken

Do you know the reason why this is, and is it something likely to change in the near future? Thanks.

route:oxford

Established Member
Will a Class 180 fit within an IEP envelope?

Essentially, once routes are guage cleared for IEP units will they also be suitable for Class 180?

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Does anybody know if the 180s are cleared for the Midland Railway route through the Hope Valley?

If so, it would be a much shorter route from Longsight to Leeds, and would also provide route knowledge learning in the event of engineering works.

In peace

Adam

rebmcr

Established Member
Does anybody know if the 180s are cleared for the Midland Railway route through the Hope Valley?

The existence of the WCML runs would seem to demonstrate that they are not cleared on any more convenient route.

Status
Not open for further replies.