• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML delay caused by rodents

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementalpat

National Rail said:
A signalling problem is causing disruption between Preston and Lancaster.

Repairs are continuing well to fully restore the service, and trains are on the move through the affected area. Investigations show the problem was caused by rodents damaging cables.

Trains between Preston and Lancaster may be delayed by up to 60 minutes. These delays are expected to last until 16:00.

As quoted on the National Rail website.

Is this a common problem accross the network?

I guess with miles of cables in remote areas it certainly can happen. Guess NR does not go into specifics most of the time, but never seen a report like this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lockwood

"WCML delay caused by rodents"

I thought this would be a comment on Mr Branson's facial hair. *rimshot*

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Not unusual - a certain ex TOC MD attended a "call in meeting" with the then SRA to explain poor performance with a bagged rodent , as it had caused a severe signallnig failure which tipped them over the monthly threshold for cancellations.

Cremated pigeons (Tring in this case) - comes to mind , being brought in to show the root cause of an OLE incident !..

6Gman

Established Member
Caused my good lady a 2hr delay returning from Scotland as 1451 Edinburgh - New Street was caped.

ushawk

Established Member
I think its come from focus groups that NRE have run to go into more detail where possible for delays so passengers know what exactly has caused it. Its a good idea too, though this does sound a bit bizarre !!

tsr

Established Member
I think its come from focus groups that NRE have run to go into more detail where possible for delays so passengers know what exactly has caused it. Its a good idea too, though this does sound a bit bizarre !!

To be fair, though, it's quite an understandable explanation. Everyone can understand that and visualise the unfortunate event of a rat (or other rodent) chewing through a cable, even if it's not quite that simple on-site.

I also agree that it's a good idea to add this sort of detail to the information provided. I have noticed more and more of this on NRE recently. However, some of their staff seem to be better at it than others - the detail comes and goes, rather!

Established Member
Been there done that etc. etc. Last week of the old searchlight signals on the Euston to Watford DC lines in 1988 and all the track circuits go down in one area, cause eventually traced to rodent damage, they could have had the decency to wait a few more days then they could have chewed on the old cable to their heart's content :-x

railuser007

There was a delay yesterday morning between New Street and International and according to the National Rail website it was due to a plastic bag on the wires!

On a side note it seems at least every few days there is some sort of delay between Watford Jct - Milton Keys - Rugby - is there something going on around there?

Eagle

Established Member
I also agree that it's a good idea to add this sort of detail to the information provided. I have noticed more and more of this on NRE recently.

Such as this winter, where seemingly every disruption post had an explanation of exactly why ice on the rails was bad. I'm expecting similar for-dummies text when leaf fall season rolls round.

Welshman

Established Member
Rodents seem to have quite a history of causing mayhem.
I remember Mr Brunel had a problem with rats helping to ruin his Atmospheric Railway in South Devon.

DW54

There was a delay yesterday morning between New Street and International and according to the National Rail website it was due to a plastic bag on the wires!

On a side note it seems at least every few days there is some sort of delay between Watford Jct - Milton Keys - Rugby - is there something going on around there?

Could it be the age of the OHLE?

Or like the budget stuff used on the BedPan .... (before whole-of-life cost analysis was in fashion)?

tsr

Established Member
Could it be the age of the OHLE?

Or like the budget stuff used on the BedPan .... (before whole-of-life cost analysis was in fashion)?

The overall delays are not only due to OHLE.

Over the last few weeks and months, the points at Hanslope Junction appear to have been playing up on several occasions - today being one of them.

There have also been a few signalling problems in the Cheddington area.

Status
Not open for further replies.