• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML issues this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzaa2

Services up against it due to Avanti strikes yesterday but a signalling failure around Watford led to lines being blocked for most of the afternoon, when Avanti services were due to stop around 4pm anyway. LNR ended up having a nightmare evening with delays and cancellations, as well as having to pick up hoards of stranded Avanti passengers. And it was chaos at Lime Street as the 20:04 was cancelled to Birmingham and then the 21:34 last train got cancelled. It eventually ran at 22:51 before terminating at Crewe.

Now this afternoon there's chaos due to an overhead wire issue around Rugby blocking lines.

Not a good weekend.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

londonmidland

Established Member
Wires have come down on top of 1H08 Euston - Manchester Piccadilly.

It never rains but pours (quite literally with the weather we’ve had)

zwk500

Veteran Member

with 1A08 stopped on the adjacent line and 9H67 trapped at Weedon sidings, by the look of Open Train Times. Diversions via Northampton, although the Trent Valley all line block isn't going to help service recovery through Birmingham...

gazzaa2

Yeah, one of the trains affected from Manchester had already been delayed for an hour due to flooding, although now diverted.

QueensCurve

Established Member
with 1A08 stopped on the adjacent line and 9H67 trapped at Weedon sidings, by the look of Open Train Times. Diversions via Northampton, although the Trent Valley all line block isn't going to help service recovery through Birmingham...
The Diversions will presumably be via Aston and Bescot?

zwk500

Veteran Member
The Diversions will presumably be via Aston and Bescot?
Two sets of diversions: The planned engineering works are causing diversions via the Aston/Bescot, and then this OLE problem south of Kilsby Tunnel, which is causing diversions via Northampton.

EDIT: A 1Z99 is now at Bushbury Jn, and a schedule has appeared in RTT for 1Z99 Crewe-Rugby. Not sure if this is connected to the OLE failure but it does look likely. The poor souls on 1H08 are going to have been stuck there for a very long time by the time 1Z99 gets to them (and there are 3 trains trapped, although not sure why 9H67 hasn't reverse over the crossover at Weedon back towards MKC - possibly it's within the tripped electrical section from 1H08).

Last edited:

MarkWi72

Two sets of diversions: The planned engineering works are causing diversions via the Aston/Bescot, and then this OLE problem south of Kilsby Tunnel, which is causing diversions via Northampton.

EDIT: A 1Z99 is now at Bushbury Jn, and a schedule has appeared in RTT for 1Z99 Crewe-Rugby. Not sure if this is connected to the OLE failure but it does look likely. The poor souls on 1H08 are going to have been stuck there for a very long time by the time 1Z99 gets to them (and there are 3 trains trapped, although not sure why 9H67 hasn't reverse over the crossover at Weedon back towards MKC - possibly it's within the tripped electrical section from 1H08).
Yep, I was one of the "poor souls" on the train, which I think was immediately behind 1H08 (9H67 - 11.19 from Euston). We halted around 12.35 and were 20 mins or so late by then. I feared the worst when my Wi-Fi access stopped as the train did. I noted on my phone map we were close to Blisworth. It was 4 hours 45 minutes, before we were 'rescued' on the Preston to Euston service, which was 3 hours late before it stopped to pick us up (9M55, I think). It was very well organised as we crossed over via a ramp into the Euston train. Back to MKC and then back on another Manchester Service. Home by 7.30.

I wondered why we couldn't be 'dragged' back to continue via Northampton - perhaps with a loco from that direction ? Perhaps there wasn't one available.

Of course, there was a lot of black humour as well as frustration. The air con stopped, and it was very hot in some carriages. When we got off there was sweat and condensation dripping down the walls and ceiling. After an hour or so, a young woman started to force open the doors for fresh air. I heard that on our coach at the far end, someone else did this and a guy spotted it, grabbed his cases and escaped across the fields.

The staff were good and opened up the buffet car for snacks and water; people helped themselves. I did wish them all the best and understandably, they looked fed up. I got talking to someone else on the 'rescue train' and she was saying how the service has gone downhill from Virgin ( she uses WCML from Liverpool a lot) and how the staff are treated; they are terrible employers. I am behind them in striking anyway, but this cements that feeling.

Things like the OLE issue can't be helped, but it adds to the ongoing issues with the Rail companies.

Looks like 9H67 is being moved off, according to Traksy Diagrams.

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
Looks like 9H67 is being moved off, according to Traksy Diagrams.
Interestingly, a 0Z99 has left but 5H08 remains where it was, and a 1Z99 has left 9H67 but again 9H67 is still shown in the berth and there are reds apparently set to protect it. Presumably the drivers were running out of hours but I wonder why 9H67 couldn't be moved?

MarkWi72

Interestingly, a 0Z99 has left but 5H08 remains where it was, and a 1Z99 has left 9H67 but again 9H67 is still shown in the berth and there are reds apparently set to protect it. Presumably the drivers were running out of hours but I wonder why 9H67 couldn't be moved?
Yes, it went into the other berth, but is back now. there are also 2 mysterious '16's on the diagram. Like I said, why it couldn't be towed elsewhere was perplexing. Earlier, 9H67 was out of power, maybe it tripped when the OLE failed. But are there no locos at Northampton to drag one out of the way? Or to drag them back to Hanslope?

I presume there will be RAIB on the OLE incident/

zwk500

Veteran Member
Yes, it went into the other berth, but is back now. there are also 2 mysterious '16's on the diagram.
The -16- is an WON Item number, indicating engineering works are happening in that area.
Like I said, why it couldn't be towed elsewhere was perplexing. Earlier, 9H67 was out of power, maybe it tripped when the OLE failed. But are there no locos at Northampton to drag one out of the way? Or to drag them back to Hanslope?
There isn't anything based at Northampton that could have helped (there is a thunderbird stationed at Rugby but it went to 1H08), although a thunderbird unit (DMU I think) did go to 9H67 eventually. It would have dragged the train back to MK, where the unit could be left in the platform.
I presume there will be RAIB on the OLE incident/
The RAIB tend to be more interested in operating incidents rather than more general infrastructure failures. They might look at it, it depends if they think there are any lessons to learn. At the moment the RAIB are rather busy in Carlisle (It's been a rather poor week all round, what with Carlisle, Chinley, the signal failures yesterday and now this).

MarkWi72

The -16- is an WON Item number, indicating engineering works are happening in that area.

There isn't anything based at Northampton that could have helped (there is a thunderbird stationed at Rugby but it went to 1H08), although a thunderbird unit (DMU I think) did go to 9H67 eventually. It would have dragged the train back to MK, where the unit could be left in the platform.

The RAIB tend to be more interested in operating incidents rather than more general infrastructure failures. They might look at it, it depends if they think there are any lessons to learn. At the moment the RAIB are rather busy in Carlisle (It's been a rather poor week all round, what with Carlisle, Chinley, the signal failures yesterday and now this).
Thankyou for the information.

subk2010

The delay of this train seems crazy...
1666572244165.png
I wonder if the passengers on this train are required to alight near Northampton and change for another train to EUS for quicker journey?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
From RTT, northbound Avanti trains appear to be being diverted via Northampton this morning, southbound running via Weedon as normal.

zwk500

Veteran Member
From RTT, northbound Avanti trains appear to be being diverted via Northampton this morning, southbound running via Weedon as normal.
5H08 has just arrived in Rugby (nearly a full 24 hours late!) and there's a 1Z99 heading towards MKC, presumably to assist 5H67. Hopefully 5H08 now being cleared means the repairs will shortly be underway.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Could someone please tell me what train is on 5Z08?
It's the unit that was working 1H08 yesterday when the OLE came down. Post #7 indicates it's 390008. I don't know if it's being assisted.

EDIT (10:30): All northbound trains seem to be being held back between Rugby and Birmingham, with 4E94 seems to be stopped with reds all around it just before Stechford. There hasn't been another incident has there?

Last edited:

350yes

4E94 Has failed
It's the unit that was working 1H08 yesterday when the OLE came down. Post #7 indicates it's 390008. I don't know if it's being assisted.

EDIT (10:30): All northbound trains seem to be being held back between Rugby and Birmingham, with 4E94 seems to be stopped with reds all around it just before Stechford. There hasn't been another incident has there?
4E94 has failed

Starmill

Veteran Member
Avanti West Coast have amended services for tomorrow also to allow for times via Stechford. Some services have been combined into Birmingham New Street - London Euston services.

liamf656

Loco declared a failure and awaiting a rescue loco

5H67 has developed issues with building up air and a coupling issue with the loco so it’s still at a stand

zwk500

Veteran Member
Avanti West Coast have amended services for tomorrow also to allow for times via Stechford. Some services have been combined into Birmingham New Street - London Euston services.
Isn't this the planned service for the Colwich Block, rather than a response to the disruption?

Loco declared a failure and awaiting a rescue loco
Thanks, presumably the 1Z99 that's just left Rugby is one option?
5H67 has developed issues with building up air and a coupling issue with the loco so it’s still at a stand
On the move now though! Also another 1Z99 just gone through the incident site after waiting at Stowe Hill tunnel, is this a proving run at caution? Hopefully they'll open the down line just in time to start stacking trains ready for 4E94 to be moved clear.

The Planner

Veteran Member
They are amended all week. Nuneaton S&C isn't there at the north end and there are HS2 works going on.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I just looked at what they put on their website, which is "major signal failure and issues with overhead line equipment" in addition to the existing messages about their reduced timetable and industrial action taking place. However it seems that only goes for 22, 23, 24 October and I misread the dates. I guess they should probably have four messages about service changes but haven't put one up about the engineering work to avoid making themselves look even worse.

zwk500

Veteran Member
First train has now run past the affected site on the Weedon line, caution appears to be lifted so at least that's 1 problem sorted out, although there's still 4E94 to move.

Ex-controller

Avanti are turning at Preston which is the usual move, but first time I’ve seen it in action here. A lot of confused passengers being put off southbound services that are being terminated and turned back.

E6007

4E94 recovered to Birmingham Int Platform 1 around 12:00. 08:30 Euston first off about 2hrs 20 min late

zwk500

Veteran Member
Issues again today on the WCML. This coupled with reduced TT and diversions via Aston = headache
Am I right in thinking there's a signal failure (or something related to it) just north of MKC on the Down Fast as well? Trains are being routed into 5 and then across to the Slow line before crossing back at Hanslope.

E6007

Not sure why. 1S63 11:30 Euston - Glasgow just gone through P6 (down fast) but following trains signalled through P5!

londonmidland

Established Member
There’s a track defect on the down fast in the Wolverton area. Services to divert Up Fast - Up Slow at Milton Keynes Central.

Status
Not open for further replies.