• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML Timetable for Carlisle Soutbound 21st Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_10

Although I suspect the reason could be down to engineering works, why is the last train from Carlisle heading south is as early as 19:48 on a Saturday evening and why does there not appear to be a bus replacement either... Its also strange that the last train Northbound from Carlisle is over 2 hours later.

Whatever way of looking at it, that is ridiculously early especially for a Saturday and it seems quite poor not to have any sort of replacement mode of transport either.

Its puts my planned trip into doubt as due to work reasons, I can only get the 17:54 from Newcastle to Carlisle with it due to arrive into Carlisle for around 19:32 and its not the most reliable service in terms of being on time.

Looking on NRE and Virgin websites, there appears to be nothing on there to suggest any planned engineering work either.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
It is due to planned engineering work south of Lancaster, seemingly, as every other train is terminating there.

The only other option you had was one train 20 minutes later on a normal Saturday, based on what is running next weekend.

Are you aware that you could claim alternative transport (or lodging, based on what is practical at the time) from Northern if their train is delayed enough to prevent you making that connection?

Paul_10

It is due to planned engineering work south of Lancaster, seemingly, as every other train is terminating there.

The only other option you had was one train 20 minutes later on a normal Saturday, based on what is running next weekend.

Are you aware that you could claim alternative transport (or lodging, based on what is practical at the time) from Northern if their train is delayed enough to prevent you making that connection?

Its what I suspected but it still does not fully explain why the last train heading South from Carlisle is before 8 on a Saturday evening and why no bus replacement for any normal timetabled trains on a Saturday night. No doubt further North it will be even earlier than 7:48. Surely they could extend it to a more suitable time(say around 10pm?) and have buses replacing any other timetabled trains after that.

I was aware of some arrangement like that, fingers crossed nothing goes wrong.

Veteran Member
NR want/need access for routine maintenance on what is a busy double track railway, as did BR in the old days. Until about 10 years ago, trains before about 0900 N of Lancs had 15min recovery time to allow for single line working, which gives some idea of the difficulty of scheduling maintenance.
Saturday night to Sunday morning is their only real option.

The last train SX is around 2130, bar the sleepers, which indicates that the operators don't see a huge demand for late evening services anyway - not surprising IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.