• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCRC loses judicial review in High Court

The key question about the coffin stock now being used will be whether punters are happy riding a steam train which they can't hear from their seat. Aircon means no open windows means minimal chuff chuff chuff sounds - isn't that a key part of what they want?

As a DMU deviant I would much prefer to ride the 156. Open windows, mega track noise, diesel engines thrumming.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The key question about the coffin stock now being used will be whether punters are happy riding a steam train which they can't hear from their seat. Aircon means no open windows means minimal chuff chuff chuff sounds - isn't that a key part of what they want?
I've done a few tours behind kettles on Mk1s and to be honest once you're more than two coaches or so behind the locomotive you can hardly hear it anyway.

JJmoogle

Not really, this isn't like a traditional heritage railway type do, they're not rail enthusiasts most of them, they want to get a steam train over the viaduct like in the films, a lot of them won't even know that you could hear a steam train if the carriages had openable windows or what the different stock is.

Still wondering what the formation of the train is.

Iskra

Established Member

As a DMU deviant I would much prefer to ride the 156. Open windows, mega track noise, diesel engines thrumming.
I had no problem hearing Sir Nigel Gresley from a Statesman Mk2 last year.

Most aren’t going to be diehard steam enthusiasts, and will be happy providing one is on the front, they can see the scenery, go over Glenfinnan Viaduct and have lunch in Mallaig.

Rail Ranger

Thanks. So I wonder how they are powering the air conditioning and the central door locking on the Mark 2s?

Also surprising to see the Mark 1 TSO in the train.

Last edited:

12LDA28C

Established Member
Thanks. So I wonder how they are powering the air conditioning and the central door locking on the Mark 2s?

From the coach batteries I expect. They should be good enough to supply the necessary power to those systems. If the weather is not too warm the aircon could be isolated to save some power draw.

D6130

Established Member

....not to mention the other two Mark 1 vehicles - BCK no. 21266 and RMB no. 1860. Are we to assume that these have been fitted with CDL?

D6130

Established Member
As previously posted, those vehicles do not need CDL to be fitted if they are not carrying passengers.
Yes, but if the TOPS consist shows the vehicles in their correct order, passengers from other coaches will have to walk through the BCK - and into the RMB - in order to purchase refreshments, so what difference does it make to the CDL requirements whether you are seated in a TSO or standing in/walking through the BCK or RMB? Are we to assume that the doors on those two vehicles will be kept locked?

Greybeard33

Established Member
There will be no heating on the train on a very cold day.
They will serve hot drinks and tell the punters it is part of the authentic Harry Potter experience!

On a WCR railtour a few years ago, we shivered in overcoats all the way from Manchester to Carlisle. (And were diverted over Shap instead of the S&C as advertised. The return journey was via the S&C, but in pitch darkness with no location announcements. Then a wait of over an hour in the Hellifield loop, with no refreshments available. I vowed never to travel with WCR again!)

12LDA28C

Established Member
1Y41 is shown as cancelled from Fort William, but the return working from Mallaig at 14 10 is still showing as running. Something wrong there, surely?

Yes. Rescue loco will be coming from Fort William but it appears the driver of the steam loco will have to go and get it... the 1410 return Jacobite will be very late, if it runs at all.

I think they mean the Jacobite arrived on time...

I know. But it didn't, in fact it hasn't arrived at all. Not a very successful first day of operation!

D1537

Yes. Rescue loco will be coming from Fort William but it appears the driver of the steam loco will have to go and get it... the 1410 return Jacobite will be very late, if it runs at all.
Now cancelled.

"This service was cancelled due to a problem with a steam locomotive (ME)"

Last edited:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Has anyone heard whether the steam loco has actually failed....or just slipped to a stand on wet rails and is unable to restart?
Reported as unable to restart, despite a MOM laying sand.

Bonus points: Driver for the rescue loco reported as being on board 2Y61(!)

98512 was already taken by 7812, so 98513 is the right TOPS number for 45212.
I stand corrected. Noticed it wasn't in the list of "98s" on Wikipedia, put 2+2 together and made 5!

Last edited:

On Moderation
From the coach batteries I expect. They should be good enough to supply the necessary power to those systems. If the weather is not too warm the aircon could be isolated to save some power draw.
You can’t power the aircon from the batteries.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Particularly a kitchen car with it's increased risk of catching fire. Do they use gas to cook?
What kind of fire is going to block both ends? The Norwich trains had Mark 1 buffet cars long after CDL came in. I think there was some sort of emergency release so the exterior doors could be used in an emergency.

fgwrich

Established Member
WCRC have a number of Mk2e & f coaches from Southall up for sale currently. I believe they are CDL fitted (ironically) but in poor condition.

WCRC have an STP path from Crianlarich to Tom Na Faire this coming Sunday, presumably to bring the stock in.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U06381/2024-04-14/detailed

I know the ones you're talking about, been past them many times and yes they're CDL fitted, they're all in a right state though(one's fully burnt out) but they haven't been sold just yet so it is possible I suppose that they could have pulled them back off the market and refurbished a couple.

Spare's donors. LSL has some too, though they are largely kept out of the way at places like Eastleigh and therefore doesn't attract half the attention that the Southall ones do for WCRC.

Some coaching stock recently made their way to Carnforth Steamtown from Burton. One of which was a mk1 generator vehicle in an undercoat ready for a repaint and two of which were CDL fitted Mk2s from one of the Riviera sets. See video:

WCR may have cobbled together a second shorter set of CDL fitted Mk2s or the Mk1 generator may be a sign that they have actually fitted one of their own Mk1 rakes.

The van will be ex Riviera Trains Mk1 Generator Coach 6310. This may also be a move of WCRC taking some of the last of its ex Riviera Trains vehicles to Carnforth.

As for WCRC not / showing reluctance to fitting CDL... well, the Northern Belle set appears to have had a refresh over the winter months and CDL has been fitted to those Mk2s:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What kind of fire is going to block both ends?

A collision followed by a fire in which the coaches are out of alignment.

The Norwich trains had Mark 1 buffet cars long after CDL came in. I think there was some sort of emergency release so the exterior doors could be used in an emergency.

As long as it has that.