• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather disruption Sunday 17th July and following few days

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealTrains07

Established Member
Really frustrating how some TOCs are still yet to publish timetables for monday and tuesday. Cutting it fine is one way to describe it.

Two of those being TPE and avanti. Both still havent got the final timetables up yet

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

syorksdeano

Really frustrating how some TOCs are still yet to publish timetables for monday and tuesday. Cutting it fine is one way to describe it.

Two of those being TPE and avanti. Both still havent got the final timetables up yet
Northern don't have anything up yet either

Established Member

Give them some slack!! The information about what they able to run and where to has changed about 10 times since Friday.

Baring in mine timetable planners most likely won’t work weekends, so it’s someone doing there normal job having to do the timetable and alterations.

James H

SWR JourneyCheck shows many extra trains planned tomorrow between Bournemouth and Weymouth

Fokx

Timetables are up on journey planners for TPE

Routes not operating at all:
Manchester to Redcar/Saltburn
Manchester to Hull
Leeds to Huddersfield

Class 466

Established Member
SWR JourneyCheck shows many extra trains planned tomorrow between Bournemouth and Weymouth
I expect this is actually because the 1Wxx will be split into two services effectively.

Edit: a check on RTT confirms this to be the case.

Starmill

Veteran Member
But the North Downs Line is outside the red warning area? The southern edge of the red warning is just below London.
Indeed but large numbers of timetable amendments are issued for amber warnings, including amber warnings for heat.

Indeed, as pointed out by @Class 466 the service is actually thinned out and split apart at Bournemouth. Unfortunately someone's forgotten to switch this off feeding through to journey check.

Darandio

Established Member
But the North Downs Line is outside the red warning area? The southern edge of the red warning is just below London.

Extreme heat doesn't just dissipate at the edge of the warning line. Temperatures in that area are still going to hit in excess of 35 degrees and will potentially cause huge issues.

gazzaa2

I can't imagine there'll be much demand tomorrow. Essential journeys only and those who need to travel will likely go by road if they can.

Veteran Member
I expect they're fearful of what the OHLE is going to be like on the ECML, hence the shutdown - although I am not sure why Monday is deemed okay and not Tuesday. Is there that big a difference in predicted temperatures?
Not huge, but various models are suggesting that round Peterborough will be the hottest part of the country.
Are services planned to run as normal on the ECML on Wednesday? I.e. no speed restrictions?
Contingent on any damage Mon/tues of course.
If the predicted weather breakdown happens and temperatures drop by 15 degrees or so, I would expect reasonably normal services.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I can't imagine there'll be much demand tomorrow. Essential journeys only and those who need to travel will likely go by road if they can.
You could be surprised. waiting for photos of people getting left behind at Nottingham heading for Skegness.

Tractor37

The fire began in a field but has actually spread onto the station itself, has burnt through various signalling cables and is continuing to spread as I type. Just searching “Great Chesterford” into twitter will bring up photos and videos of the incident which shows the scale of it. I doubt it’ll be fixed tomorrow
According to the Greater Anglia website first trains through were 20.28 Liverpool St - Cambridge and 21.23 Cambridge - Liverpool St.

londonmidland

Established Member
I don't want to sound pessimistic but why do I have the feeling that there will be some early closure of lines tomorrow due to the heat? I just have that gut feeling.

liamf656

According to the Greater Anglia website first trains through were 20.28 Liverpool St - Cambridge and 21.23 Cambridge - Liverpool St.
Yeah I noticed that, apparently the damage to the station was a lot less than first imagined. Not sure whether they were cautioned or not

I don't want to sound pessimistic but why do I have the feeling that there will be some early closure of lines tomorrow due to the heat? I just have that gut feeling.
I also thought this. The railway simply wasn’t designed for heat this intense

Established Member
There probably will, all it takes is one buckled rail or one sagging OHL and I reckon operators will pull the plug on that particular route.

E16 Cyclist

The Grand Central twitter account has spent all day confirming that they are running trains in and out of King's Cross on Tuesday, to the same reduced timetable that they are using tomorrow.

Either they have exclusive use of the ECML or there's going to be some very angry people on Tuesday!

Edit: the website also still implies the timetable applies to Monday and Tuesday. https://www.grandcentralrail.com/travelling-with-gc/disruptions/grand-central-disruptions

If the mass cancellations are due to fears of sagging overheads and trapped trains then they could well have exclusive use until the 180’s decide they don’t like the heat either

AlexNL

Established Member
The ECML is being closed entirely from 12:00 until 20:00, but the other main lines won't be? I've looked up weather predictions for places like Luton and Tring, and saw forecasts very similar to those of Hitchin and Peterborough.

That makes me wonder, what makes the ECML special compared to the WCML and the MML? Does it have to do with the overhead line equipment being more prone to sagging?

liamf656

The ECML is being closed entirely from 12:00 until 20:00, but the other main lines won't be? I've looked up weather predictions for places like Luton and Tring, and saw forecasts very similar to those of Hitchin and Peterborough.

That makes me wonder, what makes the ECML special compared to the WCML and the MML? Does it have to do with the overhead line equipment being more prone to sagging?
Post ### is pretty much where the answer lies

Last edited:

GNER 91128

LNER saying tickets for tomorrow are valid on Wednesday and Thursday. My parents were due to travel on the cancelled 10:06 out of KGX, surely they should be able to travel on an earlier or later service?

Summary of GWR services for tomorrow (18th) as quoted from the link added in this post. Also worth mentioning that GWR are allowing peole with tickets dated for the 18th and 19th to travel on the 20th and 21st.
Link mentioned: https://www.gwr.com/travel-information/travel-updates/live-network-updates/disruption-information

Summary of amended GWR timetable in place on Monday 18 July 2022

Most early morning and late night services will operate as planned, a revised timetable will be in place between 0900-2100, where services do run, journey times will be longer due to the heat related speed restrictions in place:

High-speed services:

• Hourly service between London Paddington - Bristol Temple Meads
  • Hourly service between London Paddington - Cardiff Central / Swansea
  • London Paddington - Plymouth/Penzance services that normally operate non-stop between Taunton & Reading will be diverted via Bristol
  • London Paddington - Exeter St Davids/Plymouth via Newbury/Westbury/Castle Cary will operate as planned
  • Hourly service between London Paddington - Oxford with connecting services operating between Oxford - Worcester - Great Malvern
  • London Paddington - Cheltenham Spa services operate between Swindon & Cheltenham Spa only - customers should change at Swindon if travelling to/from Reading & London Paddington.
London Thames Valley:

• Hourly service between London Paddington - Didcot Parkway
  • Hourly service between Reading - Redhill, no GWR services between Redhill - Gatwick Airport. Customers should use other operators to complete their journey.
Services on the following routes are expected to operate as planned, however journey times will take longer than advertised:

• Didcot Parkway - Oxford
  • London Paddington - Newbury
  • Newbury - Bedwyn
  • Reading - Basingstoke
  • Twyford - Henley-on-Thames
  • Maidenhead - Marlow
  • Slough - Windsor & Eton Central
  • West Ealing - Greenford
West:

• Great Malvern/Gloucester - Weymouth services start/terminate at Westbury. Customers should change at Westbury where a reduced shuttle service will run between Westbury - Weymouth
  • Services between Cardiff Central - Portsmouth Harbour will start/terminate at Bristol Parkway, not calling at Newport or Cardiff Central. Customers should change at either Bristol Temple Meads or Bristol Parkway for onward connections to/from South Wales.
Services in Cornwall, Devon and the local Bristol area are expected to operate as planned, however journey times will take longer than advertised.

DanNCL

Established Member

Two things I can think of. The first is that the highest temperatures are expected in Lincolnshire, potentially 41 degrees. The second is the cheap design of the OHLE on the ECML, the wires on the ECML are more fragile than most other OHLE installations. Other more fragile OHLE installations have also been closed, or in the case of Manchester - Hadfield/Glossop made diesel only.

DanNCL

Established Member
LNER saying tickets for tomorrow are valid on Wednesday and Thursday. My parents were due to travel on the cancelled 10:06 out of KGX, surely they should be able to travel on an earlier or later service?
Advice is to defer travel to Wednesday or Thursday if possible, but tickets should be valid on the service before and service after cancelled trains too.

stuart100100

Merseyrail changes for tomorrow and Tuesday

Due to expected high temperatures on Monday 18 & Tuesday 19 July, it is likely that Merseyrail services will be disrupted.

We advise customers to only travel if necessary & to check before you travel.

To help run a reliable service on Monday 18 July, some necessary changes are required. All services on the Hunts Cross line will start & terminate at Liverpool South Parkway & rail replacement buses will run between Liverpool South Parkway & Hunts Cross.

On the Chester & Ellesmere Port line, only selected services will stop at Green Lane & Bromborough Rake, train times are available below.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I was out on trains today, and wow the air conditioning was welcome. That was in whatever temperature it was today in the Midlands, being outside was pretty warm (loved the sunshine, I must say) and I can only imagine what the next two days have in store for us. Anyone choosing to go outside for extended periods, well I can assure you all I won't be outdoors for longer than necessary. I love sunny weather, but in the forecast temperatures I've been told about, that's a whole new extreme and I won't be out there longer than necessary.

For me, that extends to as far as putting the washing on the line in the afternoon and to walking to/from work. Fortunately it's a very short walking commute, so I don't have any problems with transport. Even just walking to/from work is going to be tough, so I feel for all those people who have to be outside working.

It is pretty warm here even with windows open tonight, and I have to be up in 4 hours for work. Tomorrow night promises to be worse. The way I look at it right now is that we all get to be part of history, as someone pointed out earlier in the thread. We'll get to experience living through the hottest recorded temperatures in the UK. Not something to necessarily be excited about, but it'll be a story to tell the next generation!

Llandudno

Established Member
Might be easier to give up and not bother to run any trains in England or Wales tomorrow or Tuesday!

Class 466

Established Member
We'll get to experience living through the hottest recorded temperatures in the UK. Not something to necessarily be excited about, but it'll be a story to tell the next generation!
I just hope we don’t end up telling it like the “this is nothing compared to the summer of 1976” bunch.

You being serious?

I expect trains in the South West to be just as busy as any other day, probably busier as there are fewer trains running.

Then just wait for everyone complaining about the heat, air-con not working, slow speeds, breakdowns etc….. I’m sure half the time people refuse to heed warnings just so they can have a good old bitch and moan afterwards :D

323 Class

Manchester - Hadfield & Glossop services will be diesel hauled today, tommorow & Tuesday due to issues with the OHL Sagging and Tripping. All services 4 vice 3 as a result, with 150141 & 150123 working one diagram and 150136 & 150143 working the other today
150143 coupled to 150146 arrived from Manchester at Dinting 21.28.
20.56 Dinting- Manchester was 150123

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20220717-210559.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220717-210559.jpg
    623.4 KB · Views: 68

D6130

Established Member
We'll get to experience living through the hottest recorded temperatures in the UK. Not something to necessarily be excited about, but it'll be a story to tell the next generation!
TBH, I don't think we'll need to. They'll be living through much hotter temperatures....if they survive! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.