• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather related disruption - Christmas 2013 and New Year 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

al78

Established Member
I am due to travel from Horsham to Manchester leaving Horsham at 6pm (going via London Victoria then Euston to Manchester) but have been hearing that high winds and heavy rain may cause significant travel disruption. I have an advance ticket so am committed to the train I booked. Is it worth trying to re-book and pay a fee and travel earlier in the day or is it worth taking a chance with my current booking? If it is so bad that the train cannot get me to my destination what happens? Am I responsible for sorting out overnight accommodation and continuing on Christmas Eve?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I am sure i saw a tweet this morning from London Midland saying that due to expected bad weather they were accepting tomorrows tickets today.

Might be worth checking directly with the train companies involved.

6Z09

This reaction to bad weather forecasts is getting stupid! All services cancelled by Scotrail a couple of weeks ago! It used to be the trains would get you there when other modes of transport had difficulties!
Certain that in British Rails day the whole point was to keep the trains running!

1e10

This reaction to bad weather forecasts is getting stupid! All services cancelled by Scotrail a couple of weeks ago! It used to be the trains would get you there when other modes of transport had difficulties!
Certain that in British Rails day the whole point was to keep the trains running!

They're planning ahead and trying to make things easier for passengers. Not really a stupid thing for any TOC to do is it.

Established Member
Here is the advice from the Greater Anglia Website

http://http://www.greateranglia.co.uk./about-us/news/2013/12/greater-anglia-services-monday-23rd-tuesday-24th-december-2013

Of course they could do nothing, and have thousands of people stuck on trains all over the place, or do this and find all the trees fell down away from the tracks. It is a decision you will be criticised for by some people whatever you do. Truth is there simply isn't the number of staff employed today compared to BR days to keep the lines open, or to cope with multiple train evacuations should the worst happen.

Last edited:

Captain Chaos

I'd say it's a good reaction. It's better to be proactive than reactive. If you have a high degree of certainty that your service is probably going to go to hell in a handcart then it makes sense to allow people to travel earlier if they can. I can't see the problem.

Bungle

EMT also reporting tickets for tomorrow valid today, Advances valid on services other than booked, and do not travel tomorrow PM if possible.

6Z09

It is just the " Nanny State we now live in!
Yes there are thousands less staff on the railways, does that make them better ?
No it does not!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
They're planning ahead and trying to make things easier for passengers. Not really a stupid thing for any TOC to do is it.

The situation with Scotrail did not make it easier for passengers at all!
Hundreds late or absent from work,spouting nonsense all day about starting services then changing their mind again,all while the roads were perfectly passable in 90% of the country!

sng7

What did scotrail do wrong? they informed customers there would be disruption due to high winds which there was. The total closure was network rail and covered all TOCs not just scotrail though they where the most affected.

noddingdonkey

The situation with Scotrail did not make it easier for passengers at all!
Hundreds late or absent from work,spouting nonsense all day about starting services then changing their mind again,all while the roads were perfectly passable in 90% of the country!

Roads vehicles can divert onto another road a lot more easily than trains can when they encounter trees that have come down in their path. They can also stop in a much shorter distance and so have more chance of not hitting it.

This was tweeted by Network Rail on the morning showing damage to a train caused by debris being blown about by the wind

_71544165_windowbroken.jpg

6Z09

What did scotrail do wrong? they informed customers there would be disruption due to high winds which there was. The total closure was network rail and covered all TOCs not just scotrail though they where the most affected.

Yes,I am sure it was Network Rail who made the decision,the main reason for disruption was not the weather,but the fact that they took this decision!
I travelled across the width of Scotland that day and the roads were all open,a couple of trees been cut to clear some, but nothing to bring the rail network to a halt!!

Darandio

Established Member
all while the roads were perfectly passable in 90% of the country!

Indeed, and unless you hadn't noticed, people were dying on those roads as well. :roll:

But I guess you have a point, let's run all trains during these storms and see how many people can be killed/injured as the first trains clear the way for others.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I agree with being prepared and think they are doing the right thing. However did more people die in the past from wind problems when train companies carried on regardless or did they just get lucky?

I intend to travel tomorrow but I won't be moaning if I then get stranded as I know the risks. I will keep an eye on the travel as long as I'm somewhere where I can get a mobile phone signal I should be ok for updates of any problems.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Interesting that Greater Anglia is not running trains until 10am Tuesday morning. Surprised they haven't decided to stop services earlier Monday night in anticipation of the storm. After all they expect it to arrive from 6pm, which leaves at least 6-7 hours for problems to occur before the network closes for the night as normal.

Drsatan

Established Member
Indeed, and unless you hadn't noticed, people were dying on those roads as well. :roll:

But I guess you have a point, let's run all trains during these storms and see how many people can be killed/injured as the first trains clear the way for others.

Were you thinking of this particular BFI safety film while writing this?

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Not weather related but possible problems on Marches Line. Bridge bash just south of Hereford and initial reports say damage extensive. Seems to be "hit and run" as stated lorry drove off. Bustitution between Hereford and Abergavenny. ATW Website says working on a Plan and info when available.

tsr

Established Member
There's been another landslip at Wadhurst this afternoon (I believe that's the second this month), with buses replacing trains until the end of service. I don't know if that's weather related.

Goatboy

Established Member

Exactly, I'm very glad we don't have the numerous passengers killed and maimed each year that, until we began pre-emptively cancelling everything in 2013, was a constant source of death between 1850 and 2012.

Remember, an appeal to emotion fallacy is the best possible response to those who don't quite understand what changed between last year and this year.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
No point starting services up after 10.00 considering its an early shut-down on Christmas Eve. let all us poor railway employees have an extended break :idea :<:D :cake: :p

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I'm rather worried as I am due in work via GA on Tuesday and I have aVirgin train to Glasgow at 2.30pm.

My girlfriend has the day off but has to be in Euston for said train.

Last time we had this 10am start it was book back several times.

I can feel Christmas and several hotel bookings slipping through my fingers

dk1

Veteran Member
I'm rather worried as I am due in work via GA on Tuesday and I have aVirgin train to Glasgow at 2.30pm.

My girlfriend has the day off but has to be in Euston for said train.

Last time we had this 10am start it was book back several times.

I can feel Christmas and several hotel bookings slipping through my fingers

Where abouts on GA are you travelling from? We are planning proving trips from first light if possible.

dk1

Veteran Member
We are Cheshunt/Theobalds Grove

Phew!! Thought you where going to say Roughton Road or Brampton :lol:

I would think you will be fine being at the London end. my fingers are crossed for you anyway. Lets hope it will be be nowhere as severe in the end.

Sleepy

Established Member
Obviously 10am start on GA will be subject to any damage that is found to OHL /track on proving trips.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Phew!! Thought you where going to say Roughton Road or Brampton :lol:

I would think you will be fine being at the London end. my fingers are crossed for you anyway. Lets hope it will be be nowhere as severe in the end.

Thanks.

My parents made it up today, ran them down to High Barnet so they could have step free access to Glasgow!

Phirstman

Doing Cosham to Poole and back tomorrow.

Morning train (0615) should be okay... may have to take a half day though. We'll see...

6Z09

Sadly people die on the roads every day of the year.
That does not stop us all going about our normal business.
The cancellation of trains is more about compensation culture and the after effects of a shambolic privatisation process! i.e Too few staff, shortage of compatible rolling stock, lack of diesel powered trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.