• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Web domain problem. What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlesden

I have had a website since 2007 from Microsoft Office Live.
Microsoft have now decided to do away with their Office Live brand.
I need to transfer my domain to another host but to do that I need a code from the current host Melbourne IT. Melbourne IT refuse to respond to requests for the authorization code. I have sent six e-mails over the past four weeks.
What to do in this situation? It is only 7.5 weeks before Microsoft Office Live is discontinued and any Microsoft Office Live domains not already transferred out will simply disappear.
I am aware of the new Office 365, but signing up for that would mean a 320% increase in the annual cost of the domain. Not an option.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
For transferring the domain, do you mean you have a .co.uk address that points at a host and you need to point it at new name servers or such?

If this is what your problem is and you have your own .co.uk domain then I believe there are ways round it (been advised as I wish to do something similar and lately have been doing websites to death!)

I may have missed your point slightly though, so in which case feel free to correct me :)

If you want to ask something that you don't wish to post in the public forum, feel free to PM me and I'll help if I can (I'm a techie and have some idea of websites :)

swj99

Do you have log in details for melbourneit.com.au ?
If so, can't you just log in and change the name servers to point at a new hosting site ?

Edit - There's plenty of free hosting out there. For example 000webhost.com and 99on.com both have free hosting. I use both of them and they seem good.

wintonian

Established Member
If it is a .UK address then nominet are the guys in charge here and you can claim it back via their site through the online system if need be.

I think the address is nic.uk

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Crossover

Established Member
If it is a .UK address then nominet are the guys in charge here and you can claim it back via their site through the online system if need be.

I think the address is nic.uk

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Sounds about right. I think there is a cost of £12 there abouts to do it.

From what I was told by our web developer, .uk address are just licenced out effectively and you don't actually own them, hence why you can take control if needs be (though I believe you need some proof that it is your domain as such)

wintonian

Established Member
Which is why you set up a nominet account so you can do it online without having to do it the slow way. ;)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.