• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Websites & Apps to stay informed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobytronic

Starting an 7 Day All Line Rover on Sunday 14/6 and would be interested to know which websites/apps(iPhone) would be recommended by the members to keep an eye on train punctuality and something slick to keep a list of planned journeys.

Also the best site/apps to go to when I may need to scramble if my plan goes off the rails - so to speak - and I need to plan another route quickly to make a connection.

I accept that mark 1 notebook an pencil still may cut the mustard.....

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Real Time Trains website to keep a track on punctuality of connections and to give a clue at what platform to head for

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Twitter and then follow various TOCs for disruption updates. National Rail, FGW, LM and Northern are especially for that sort of thing, whereas Southern isn't. XC and Virgin (West or East Coast) don't do too badly either. ScotRail manage disruption tweets well too. Oh, and @SouthernMalachi on there is an amazing job for Southern updates!

National Rail also have an app you can get, should be free, which should come in handy. Certainly did on my previous ALRs, although I was using their mobile site at the time due to space restrictions on my old phone.

tobytronic

Looks like Twitter it is then

When having a plan this will be helpful to solve the inevitable '...we're going to be late - what now problem".

Thanks

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I also recommened Real Time Trains (usually referrered to on the forum as RTT), which didn't exist on my 2011 ALR. Very useful indeed, I've certainly used it lots on my trips to see what's going on at stations I'm on the way to etc.

crispy1978

I always use RTT, as the page loads quickly and find it is generally very accurate.

The TOC Twitter accounts are good for ongoing problems (cows on line, signalling issues, etc) too.

I tended to find the NR app was quite slow in updating and you get a lot of mere "Delayed" showing up which doesn't quantify any delay, so don't use it now.

tobytronic

Tried RTT Yesterday to track next Friday's trains and yes it's gives quick updates and faiy easy on phone to manoeuvre!

Status
Not open for further replies.