• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Websites only offering ticket collection

Essexman

Established Member
I'm trying to book a single from Bournemouth to Stourbridge Town for tomorrow for someone else so need to be able to email ticket, but Cross Country, LNER & Greater Anglia all only giving option to collect at station.
I've never come across this before as it usually offers email option.
Any suggestions how I can get tickets booked & sent by email would be appreciated.
I have logged into my accounts before trying to book.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gaelan

Are they going via London? If so, it can't be issued digitally, as such tickets can't operate London Underground barriers.

James H

If buying for someone else, use a website that lets you pay via Paypal, as that will ensure the booking is set to 'any card' collection

lfc84

Trip.com app has the 1122 and 1245 as mobile tickets. Actually split tickets

Try uber as well. The cheapest tickets are collect at station but if you increase the price they change to E ticket

Last edited:

cool110

The cheapest off-peak single is routed ✠ Via Birmingham, even though there's no reason to cross London. To get a e-tickets you'll need to split.

alistairlees

Established Member
It looks like most (maybe all?) ticket types from Bournemouth to Stourbridge Town are not set up to be fulfilled as eTickets. Not even the ones that are "Not via London". This is the responsibility of the TOC (CrossCountry) to do this - retailers cannot override this.

However, Bournemouth to Smethwick Galton Bridge Off-Peak Single (and maybe others - I have not checked) is set up to be fulfilled to eTicket. You could get that and then they could buy Smethwick Galton Bridge to Stourbridge Town locally on the day (though this is a little more expensive than a through ticket), perhaps?

Gaelan

Some online retailers also offer "any card collection", where you can collect the card from a ticket machine with any bank card - so just give the other person the ticket reference, and let them collect the tickets with their own bank card.

TrainSplit always does this for me, but I'm not sure if this is universally true, and I can't see any way to confirm if this will be the case before purchase. Does anyone else happen to know?

Essexman

Established Member
Thanks for replies.
Via Birmingham.
So yet another inconsistency & complexity in our ticketing system.
For the outward journey 3 weeks ago I booked an e-ticket.
I'm going to send the money and he'll book at the station when he arrives for the train but maybe with no seat reservation.

island

Veteran Member
Buy a LNER e-voucher for the exact value of the ticket then buy the ticket using the voucher. The ticket can be collected with any valid bank card.

MrJeeves

Established Member
TrainSplit always does this for me, but I'm not sure if this is universally true, and I can't see any way to confirm if this will be the case before purchase. Does anyone else happen to know?
It's universally true on the TrainSplit branded sites and also on the RailForums ticketing site, but other retailers have different rules.

sheff1

Established Member
This is the most straightforward solution.
Maybe, if you know how to pay with Paypal. As I don't (and have no wish to find out) using the method outlined in either post #9 or #10 would be the most straightforward for me.

The OP now has 3 possible solutions and can choose the one which works best for them

Adwy

Some online retailers also offer "any card collection", where you can collect the card from a ticket machine with any bank card - so just give the other person the ticket reference, and let them collect the tickets with their own bank card.

I purchase my tickets via a TOC with which I retain an account. This account is not settled by card, but any bank card allows me to download and print the tickets. I just need to concentrate with the non-QWERTY layout.

Adam Williams

Established Member
It looks like most (maybe all?) ticket types from Bournemouth to Stourbridge Town are not set up to be fulfilled as eTickets. Not even the ones that are "Not via London". This is the responsibility of the TOC (CrossCountry) to do this - retailers cannot override this.
Have you made the pricing manager aware already? If not, I'll fire something over post-Easter in the existing email thread.