• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weekend first question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSEFAN

Established Member
Hi all,

In general, is there any way of finding out if specific trains have weekend first tickets available?

I know that some trains with 1st class don't have weekend first, so do I just have to ask when I get to the train?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Which TOC(s)?

When you say some trains don't have Weekend First, do you mean some trains don't have First? Or do you mean trains that have First but where Weekend First is fully booked (this can happen with NXEC in particular)?

NSEFAN

Established Member
I mean where there is first class, but I'm just wondering how I can check if weekend first is available. I am interested in the policy for NXEC.

Sorry for not being clearer. I find the weekend first system very confusing :???:

voyagerdude220

Established Member
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/promotions/023744bcc35ce7410024862c7ece4649.html

This shows all the different TOCs policies/rules about Weekend First. Note the fact that the logos have been updated with the franchise changes, but the main text still states "GNER".

One point i'd like to make, is that EMT only allows AP SC ticket holders to upgrade on the train. This is a very big exception, as the majority of TOCs, like VWC and NXEC don't allow Standard Class AP ticket holders to upgrade using weekend first at all.

Like you say NSEFAN, the whole system regarding weekend upgrades is rather confusing, and even the coductor on a TPE 185 last bank holiday Monday didn't know if the upgrade was available on bank holidays. More worryingly still, the control woman he phoned up didn't know either :???: (I know for a fact it's both weekends and bank holidays)

NSEFAN

Established Member
I see. Thanks for the link. I see what you mean by GNER :???:

It's not too big a deal. I'll just ask on the train. I don't mind not being in first class if they won't let me in. :lol:

me123

Established Member
BTW, don't bother with FSR. What you get isn't worth the supplement. S Class is good enough on the turbos and FClass on the 158s is completely pointless.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I once sat down on GNER as soon as the train was ready for boarding, found an unreserved seat. Nothing said for 10 minutes and then the conductor made an announcement saying Weekend 1st was not available as the train was likely to get busy.:roll:

Usually there's something on the screens saying it's unavailable if it's full.

So GNER lost a few £20's, and ****ed off a few of their "customers". Meanwhile all the best seats had gone in the TGS.

It remains to be seen if NXEC will follow the legacy of pomposity set by GNER. They probably won't manage that but they are certainly managing to demoralise staff morale. Although this is starting to go off topic..!

Mahatma Gandhi said:
“A ‘Customer’ is the most important visitor on our premises.
He is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him.
He is not an interruption on our work. He is the purpose of it.
He is not an outsider on our business. He is a part of it.
We are not doing him a favor by serving him. He is doing us a favor by giving us an opportunity to do so.”

GNER said:
“A ‘Customer’ is an opportunity for us to make money.”

There are good Weekend First deals for a long distance journeys on TPE, because they have a standard £6 fare regardless of changes or journey duration, so a trip from Scarborough to Blackpool, Newcastle to Liverpool, etc would only be £6 extra. And it is worth it on the 185s, especially if your train calls at Dewsbury or Stalybridge in the evening ;)

It's also £6 on EMT (even if holding advance purchase tickets) which is good for London-Leeds, especially when you go via Corby too!

It's also worth it on NXEC for journeys between Peterborough and Aberdeen/Inverness, as that's £15 for a lot of mileage and at seat service for the entire trip.

1D53

Established Member
There are good Weekend First deals for a long distance journeys on TPE, because they have a standard £6 fare regardless of changes or journey duration, so a trip from Scarborough to Blackpool, Newcastle to Liverpool, etc would only be £6 extra. And it is worth it on the 185s, especially if your train calls at Dewsbury or Stalybridge in the evening ;)

It's also £6 on EMT (even if holding advance purchase tickets) which is good for London-Leeds, especially when you go via Corby too!

£6 on TPE is a bargain too between Glasgow Central and Manchester Airport! :D8-)

Didn't know that EMT were only £6 too, that is a bargain for London - Leeds, especially if you have a good powercar on the back :D

djw1981

Established Member
Hmm but... I am still not convinced that FC on a 185 is worth it.. A bit too much like the FC on a Turbo = ok you get free coffee, but £6 is 3 cups......

1D53

Established Member
And a nicer seat, and a snackbox (or two)

me123

Established Member
I would be more tempted with that than the silly excuse of FC that we get. I really do fancy that snackbox though (and I don't even know what's in it :D )

djw1981

Established Member
FSR FC is good if you get it as an add-on to a NXEC EDB-England ticket - coffee a paper and (luxury on an GLQ-EDB peak train) a seat.... and if FC is full, you get a refund!

NXEC are currently being cheaper in FC than Sc for my trip next week....

richa2002

Established Member
Strange, I upgraded no problem with a Saver on an EMT service in February.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I don't know what the official FC offer on TPE is, because I've been offered the snack box a while ago (nice pate & snacky stuff like that- can't fully remember what was in them) , but I was also offered something from the basket last Monday (Bank Holiday) , which had a selection of oatie cookies, cake etc.

The basket job was what TPE offered before the clip boxes were created, but I must admit that I definately prefer the selection from the basket, as those honey & oat cookies were devine!

As for the 185s- I've only actually travelled FC on them before, but really enjoy the very comfortable seats (I usually get a table to myself), and the fact they recline (As per usual in FC). However, I must say that I really hated FC on 170308 between Hull and Leeds, and was glad to get on a 185 from Leeds, even though it was packed, and I was the only person in FC on the 170.

Also, you can't really put a price on all that engine thrash in the FC carriage, although it was very nice to experience the engine out of use from Manchester to Liverpool for a change, just to see the difference it made to the noise levels in the carriage.

me123

Established Member
...and (luxury on an GLQ-EDB peak train) a seat....

:|I've never not had a seat, even at peak times, on the Shuttle route. occasionally some people stand for the journey, but there's always enough seats in the train anyway. I went with some (6) friends on the 1730 ex Glasgow and we got two tables across from each other no problem in the second carriage. No-one sat in the spare two seats either.

djw1981

Established Member
Hmmm Yes... the busiest services are the 1630 and 1830 (when you can use a CDR) which I guess are not technically Peak, but you catch my drfit.... The Sunday afternoon 3-car services are a joke too....anyway back on topic....Fc isn't really worth it on suburban and urban routes IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.