• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weekend First Upgrade in combination with complimentary ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyTom

A while back I was offered a pair of standard class returns anywhere on CrossCountry's network as compensation for a very substantial delay. I intend to use them for a week-long trip from Edinburgh to Penzance (felt like getting good use of them!), but am obviously concerned about the comfort of such a long journey. I felt like the £20 weekend first upgrade would be a bargain if I would be able to use it, can anyone confirm if this is the case? I know they're not able to be used with Advance fares but wondered if you could combine with complimentary tickets. Thanks :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Assuming it's not a complimentary Advance ticket, I do not see how that exclusion could possibly apply.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
A while back I was offered a pair of standard class returns anywhere on CrossCountry's network as compensation for a very substantial delay. I intend to use them for a week-long trip from Edinburgh to Penzance (felt like getting good use of them!), but am obviously concerned about the comfort of such a long journey. I felt like the £20 weekend first upgrade would be a bargain if I would be able to use it, can anyone confirm if this is the case? I know they're not able to be used with Advance fares but wondered if you could combine with complimentary tickets. Thanks :)
If nothing else, your issue will be that Weekend First tickets are only valid for one day, so don't expect to be able to do it in First over a week for £20 extra!

As far as I'm aware there is no reason why it would outright be impossible, but I suspect it will depend very much on how CrossCountry issue the free ticket. If it's by means of giving you a normal ticket but with the amount payable being discounted by 100%, it might work. If they print you out/send you something that just says "free ticket" it would be down to the particular guard in question as to whether or not they'd do it - essentially, expect the worst and be prepared for them to say you can't upgrade. If you can, and especially if it's an HST, enjoy!

CrazyTom

If nothing else, your issue will be that Weekend First tickets are only valid for one day, so don't expect to be able to do it in First over a week for £20 extra!

Haha, no as in we're spending a week in Penzance, so it'd be £20 each way per person for £80 total! Sorry xD

Established Member
If it's anything like the £10 XC Rover tickets then no they aren't valid for weekend first.

Jonfun

Established Member
I have a feeling the answer is no, but I don't have one to hand to check. I seem to recall the terms and conditions can be found on the reverse of the ticket.

philthetube

Established Member
Sit in weekend first and attempt to buy, valid or not I will be surprised if you get refused and if so you just have to move.

CrazyTom

I've found this page on the CrossCountry website which confirms that you can indeed use a complimentary ticket in combination with a weekend first upgrade:
CrossCountry complimentary tickets can be used in conjunction with Weekend First upgrades and weekday upgrades to First Class. These can be bought on board our services, subject to availability.
I'm looking forward to the trip, especially the outbound leg on an HST!

Status
Not open for further replies.