• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weekend First - which ticket is correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Goddard

Established Member
Went up to London for my Birthday last Saturday and decided to upgrade to First Class each way, taking advantage of South West Trains' £5 weekend First.

On the outward trip (the 0700 Southampton to Waterloo), we were sold "X/S STDTO1ST SG", while on the return trip (1939 Waterloo to Southampton) we were sold "Type 5 UNRESERVED WEF".

Clearly we were charged the correct amount each time, so it doesn't matter but it made me wonder (because I do wonder about things like this!) whether one type or the other should have been used.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 86
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Looks like a fudge or workaround on Avantix to charge the correct price. In the first set of tickets it says your accompanying coupon is "77777" and the second doesn't even list one.

Sleepy

Established Member
The first is an excess from standard to 1st Class which would be normally issued when upgrading a ticket on weekday. The other is a supplement which Southwest trains use for Weekend First, some other TOC have them set up in Advantix as a seperate fare type of their own (which some dozy ticket offices have been known to issue as travel tickets:roll: cough Cough overground ).

causton

Established Member
(which some dozy ticket offices have been known to issue as travel tickets:roll: cough Cough overground ).

Wouldn't surprise me ;)

Easily done though, when they show up in the middle of Advance fares as "Available" (not SWT, but another TOCs) and you think "That's a good deal" till you see the ticket name!

Top Cat

The Guard on your return journey followed the correct procedure for issuing the weekend first upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.