• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weekend first with split tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueFox

I'm making a journey from Carlisle to Manchester on the next bank holiday Monday.

I'll be on the same Transpennine Express train for the whole journey, but I split tickets at Preston.

If I want to upgrade to first class, would I pay once for the whole journey, or once for each ticket?

Their website says: "£10.00 (single journey supplement)", which sounds to me like I'd just pay once for the journey, but is that what happens in practice?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
The guard would be stupid to attempt to charge you twice - passengers are allowed to use multiple tickets to cover a journey, as per Condition 14:1 of the National Rail Conditions of Travel (NRCoT):

Unless shown below, you may use a combination of two or more Tickets to make a journey provided that the train services you use call at the station(s) where you change from one Ticket to another.

It's one journey so you should only be charged one upgrade.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have never heard of TPE charging a weekend first upgrade as multiple journeys instead of one journey.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Probably no issue, but either go and find the guard when you get on, or when they come round show all your tickets, explain that you are travelling through on one train, and politely ask if they are happy to book you a w/e 1st 'rigth through to Manchester'

Usually works

paddington

I did this once. I had all my tickets on the table, but the guard only upgraded the first ticket. I didn't look at the upgrade receipt until later so didn't notice. but the guard didn't say anything when i remained in 1st beyond what he had charged for.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I guess the fundamental issues would be if the guard changed en route (or you changed train but still on same TOC) or if the TOC charged a flat fee w/e 1st (like EMT does) or staged prices for jny length (like GWR does) and if the split tickets would need 2x£10 for say 2 zones bought seperatly or 1x £15 if the 2 zones bought together.

robbeech

Established Member
The guard would be stupid to attempt to charge you twice - passengers are allowed to use multiple tickets to cover a journey, as per Condition 14:1 of the National Rail Conditions of Travel (NRCoT):

It's one journey so you should only be charged one upgrade.

All well and good but weekend first upgrades don’t carry the same terms and conditions and are offered at the discretion of the guard and the toc. Of course as you say in practise you are unlikely to have any issues. I’ve done this with a number of TOCs with split point to point tickets and with combinations of point to point and seasons without issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.