• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weekend use of Season ticket within Greater Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

trickyvegas

I have a monthly season ticket between Stalybridge and Manchester.

On Saturday, I was making a journey from Piccadilly to another destination within the Greater Manchester boundaries and enquired if I was able to buy an excess from my ticket to my destination. The reply from the conductor was that, to his knowledge, I could use my ticket for travel anywhere within Greater Manchester at weekends.

Is this correct or was he kindly doing me a favour?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

b0b

Established Member
http://www.gmpte.com/journey_planning/tickets_rail.cfm?submenuheader=1

Season Tickets
With a rail season ticket you can travel at any time of day between two stations as often as you please. In addition a rail season ticket between two stations in Greater Manchester allows you to travel by train anywhere in Greater Manchester at weekends.

worth keeping a copy of that webpage, just in case you get someone less familiar with the rule ....

trickyvegas

That's excellent news, thanks for confirming that - going to save me a fair few future pounds.

Glad I met a helpful and knowledgable rail employee on the day, I had actually boarded the wrong train too, so a happy accident after all.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
worth keeping a copy of that webpage, just in case you get someone less familiar with the rule ....

When I worked out in the sticks and needed a bus to finish my journey in High Lane I used to have a System One Travel Card, which an XC Guard responded to with "what the hell is that?"

furryfeet

http://www.gmpte.com/journey_planning/tickets_rail.cfm?submenuheader=1

Season Tickets
With a rail season ticket you can travel at any time of day between two stations as often as you please. In addition a rail season ticket between two stations in Greater Manchester allows you to travel by train anywhere in Greater Manchester at weekends.

Anyone know of the cheapest weekly adult season that exists, so that one could take advantage of this at weekends ?

(Assuming that it all works out cheaper than buying a GM rail ranger )

cuccir

Established Member
An Oxford Road to Deansgate 7 day is £7; this would be a £1 saving on buying two Rail Rangers on a Saturday and Sunday, though I don't suppose it would include the free metro travel.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
A Salford Central-Manchester CTLZ ticket includes the tram in the city centre (G-Mex-Piccadilly-Victoria) and is £7.60 for a week.

CHESHIRECAT

So what would happen if you were travelling say MAN- Liverpool with a season ticket,, could you buy ticket from the last station in the GMPTE area even if the train (EMT or TPE) did not stop there ? Glazebrook in this instance?

A60K

So what would happen if you were travelling say MAN- Liverpool with a season ticket,, could you buy ticket from the last station in the GMPTE area even if the train (EMT or TPE) did not stop there ? Glazebrook in this instance?
Now there's a can of worms! I'm not sure to be honest, and I suspect it's down to how 'official' thia agreement is between the PTE and ATOC. I imagine there would be some debate from conductors of TOCs that don't run local services in GM - for example, using a Rochdale to Salford weekly on a Virgin train to London together with a Prestbury-London return.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
If one ticket is a season ticket the other is not, the train would not have to stop at Glazebrook. In the case of EMT and FTPE there should be no other problems, however, If you used Northern, you'd have to make sure the train went through Glazebrook (Northern run some services via Newton-Le-Willows for which this would not be valid).

I do not know of any other restrictions.

scrapy

Established Member
Now there's a can of worms! I'm not sure to be honest, and I suspect it's down to how 'official' thia agreement is between the PTE and ATOC. I imagine there would be some debate from conductors of TOCs that don't run local services in GM - for example, using a Rochdale to Salford weekly on a Virgin train to London together with a Prestbury-London return.

You would not be able to do this anyway! A Rochdale to Salford season is only valid as far as Bramhall at weekends.

A60K

You would not be able to do this anyway! A Rochdale to Salford season is only valid as far as Bramhall at weekends.
OK, my Manc geography is a little hazy these days. I'll pose the same question with Prestbury replaced with Bramhall!

Status
Not open for further replies.