• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weird announcement at Three Bridges

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB_B

Established Member
Last night I heard a strange announcement at Three Bridges "The Virgin Trains Sussex Scot [inaudible] at Platform [inaudible...]" (repeat)

It's well over a decade since the last such train passed through (and I don't think they stopped at TBD anyway ) - any idea what was going on?

The auto-announcers at TBD are a bit odd at the best of times - they tend to emit the single word "delayed" at random intervals - often accurate but not very informative - can anyone explain those?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
I believe this cropped up on the forums a couple of weeks ago - basically, Three Bridges (and a couple of other stations on the Southern network, mainly on routes to or from Horsham, which is a bit odd) have a glitch where the station CIS spouts random words and phrases from its vocabulary.

Ewell East has been known to announce the names of various Scottish stations, for example. Particularly disconcerting when you are the only person there on a cold winter's evening waiting for a train to somewhere run-of-the-mill like Sutton.

ah-media

So essentially, the CIS has turrets ? Is the logical conclusion then ...

"The next train at Platform 4 is the 07:32 Southern service to F*** You calling at w******, k***, s*** and c*** ? :lol::lol:

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Well at least it has something to do while GTR aren't running trains! ;)

gnolife

Established Member

"The next train at Platform 4 is the 07:32 Southern service to F*** You calling at w******, k***, s*** and c*** ? :lol::lol:

Turrets? Is that so they can gun down photographrrs on ladders and commuters swarming the doors before people can alight?

GatwickDepress

Established Member
The Sussex Scot is still on the CIS systems? I'd love a chance to root through all the announcer's audio files one day...

greaterwest

Established Member
The Sussex Scot is still on the CIS systems? I'd love a chance to root through all the announcer's audio files one day...

Attention Please! This is a platform alteration. The Sussex Scot service to Newhaven Marine will now depart from platform 1...

The delayed Virgin Trains service to Birmingham New Street via Reading will now depart from platform 2. Calling at Gatwick Airport, Redhill, Guildford, Reading, Oxford, Banbury, Leamington Spa & Birmingham New Street...

I'll stop now :lol:

JB_B

Established Member
I believe this cropped up on the forums a couple of weeks ago - basically, Three Bridges (and a couple of other stations on the Southern network, mainly on routes to or from Horsham, which is a bit odd) have a glitch where the station CIS spouts random words and phrases from its vocabulary.

Ewell East has been known to announce the names of various Scottish stations, for example. Particularly disconcerting when you are the only person there on a cold winter's evening waiting for a train to somewhere run-of-the-mill like Sutton.

Interesting - thanks. Do you know if there's any plans to fix it?

a1a.a1a

Interesting - thanks. Do you know if there's any plans to fix it?
I don't think they are too concerned about it (its on the 'to do' list but probably wont be looked at till the controlling PC expires) although i understand the samaritans are on standby just incase she starts spouting 'i'm sorry' in an endless loop... or perhaps 'Connex' in an aggressive manner... Poor love!

infobleep

Veteran Member
The easiest way to fix it is surely to reinstate the Sussex Scot service?
There's an even easier one. Remove the announcements completely. They are only there to help passengers so they not that important. : I'll get my coat:

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Deety

There's an even easier one. Remove the announcements completely. They are only there to help passengers so they not that important. : I'll get my coat:

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I was there briefly yesterday and it seemed that they had turned them off, as all I heard was one announcement from a human. No random stations as the GX sped through platform 5...

JB_B

Established Member

Heard it again - this time at Crawley (which fits with your info) this afternoon we got

"ROYSTON! ROYSTON! THIS IS ROYST! - Low Moore - ROYSTON! ROY!"

then "ROYSTON! ROYSTON! Rotterdam Central C S " (!)

Then back to the standard GTR call-sign - "elayed .... delayed.... delayed ...delayed del"

Is it some sort of code? - or a message from the future?

causton

Established Member
How frequent is this?

I want to hear it but I don't want to be spending 17 hours on a windy platform waiting for it to go off once every 45 hours when the sun is between a 15 and 25 degree angle of the CIS monitor, etc ;) especially if I might get shot by turrets!

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I've heard 'welcome aboard this West Anglia Great Northern service to...' on a train at Kings Cross a couple of weeks ago! How long ago did they lose the franchise? It's not even an announcement for GTR's immediate predecessor, First Capital Connect, which makes it even more weird :oops:

There is announcement that often plays at smaller stations when replacement bus services are used that says "Intercity Charter Train. Regional Railways Charter Train".

tsr

Established Member
If it wasn't for things like "Rotterdam CS", which must surely be totally irrelevant on the vast majority of modern announcements, I'd wonder if there was some sort of known pre-programmed reason such as an automatic cache of words which had failed to play in normal announcements and were played back by some accidental software quirk... Or perhaps there is a technical explanation such as a draft folder of random audio files used to check equipment.

Sadly I've yet to hear of any discernible timing pattern, though it does seem such errors get "turned off" mid-spiel by either man or machine, so presumably it is a known problem to which a fix readily can apply.

Last edited:

LeeLivery

Established Member
Heard it again - this time at Crawley (which fits with your info) this afternoon we got

"ROYSTON! ROYSTON! THIS IS ROYST! - Low Moore - ROYSTON! ROY!"

then "ROYSTON! ROYSTON! Rotterdam Central C S " (!)

Then back to the standard GTR call-sign - "elayed .... delayed.... delayed ...delayed del"

Is it some sort of code? - or a message from the future?

I was just about to say this! Crawley seems to love Royston!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
At East Croydon a few weeks ago I heard: "Customers for Clapham Junction, please join the front 12 coaches as this station has a short platform. This train is formed of 16 coaches". Why on earth it said that is beyond me.

mugam4

How frequent is this?

I want to hear it but I don't want to be spending 17 hours on a windy platform waiting for it to go off once every 45 hours when the sun is between a 15 and 25 degree angle of the CIS monitor, etc ;) especially if I might get shot by turrets!
In most of my 5- to 10- minute changes there I hear it tourettes at least once

Envy123

London buses seem to also suffer from random stop calling. One time, I had my local 34 bus say this after every stop:

"34 to Precinct Road Iron Bridge Emmanuel Church"

When it is always "34 to Barnet Church". :p

NSE

Established Member
I've heard 'welcome aboard this West Anglia Great Northern service to...' on a train at Kings Cross a couple of weeks ago! How long ago did they lose the franchise? It's not even an announcement for GTR's immediate predecessor, First Capital Connect, which makes it even more weird :oops:

I hear this quite regularly. I heard it on FCC too. In my experience it seems to occur when the train has been 'turned on' from sitting dead in a platform or when two 365's couple together.

tellytype

Knowing & working with a few Voiceovers who do this stuff, those words could WELL crop up if the guy editing wasn't careful to remove them!

JaJaWa

Established Member

I've heard that none of the successors to wagn have been able to update the announcements.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.