• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weird HST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Craig

Established Member
Maybe the end of the train is on a curve giving that effect. It's not unknown for HSTs to run with just one power car though, it's sometimes happened on the 7:10 Leeds - Aberdeen with an extra power car being added or the set being swapped at Edinburgh.

devon_metro

Established Member
Although there isn't a sharp sudden curve like that on Goss moor! And you would most probably be able to see the roof of the powercar aswell!

I think the rear car IS the power car, however it is blurred so may not be visible...

Craig

Established Member
I think the rear car IS the power car, however it is blurred so may not be visible...
I've just enlarged the photo in photoshop and would agree with this. I think it's just the angle that the photo has been taken at that makes it look like there's only one power car.

Is Goss Moor on the Newquay branch? If so I'm pretty sure an HST wouldn't go down there with only one power car :lol:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Shere should be another trailer and power car, so maybe they're both obscured in this view.

Ben

I can see the Rear PC.

Look after the very last Red Door theres a Small Black Blob.

Sprog

Established Member
strange....

although that guys gallery has some spiffing pictures.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
It's very rare for HSTs to run with only one powercar, and when they do they will nearly always have a barrier vehicle on the rear, since HST trailers have fixed buckeye couplings so a screw coupling only fitted loco would be unable to couple to the rear either to assist in an emergency, or to shunt the stock at the terminus. This did happen on the WR for a while not long after the HSTs were introduced due to a shortage of powercars. There, the barrier vehicles were fitted with generators to provide train supply and reduce the load on the powercar. Whilst not having to drag the dead rear powercar is an advantage from a performance point of view, speed is restricted to 100mph due to the way the HST's brakes work.

jdjonnay

It curves right after the Iron bridge to follow the a30 towards Indian Queens before curving right again to head down to Newquay.

I drive along that road like 5 times a week lol.

Nat the Ned

As it twas I who took the photo I can assure you it had a rear power car! The line is on a 's' bend in the picture as it crosses the A30 and then runs parallel to it. This shot http://www.southwestrails.fotopic.net/p33962249.html is taken pretty much where the rear power car is looking towards where the picture was taken, infact the bridge the shot was taken from can just be made out at the foot of the electricity pylon!! Mystery solved!!

tedted

You get strange tricks of the light in Scotland, don't you? Reminds me of Electric Brae.

Status
Not open for further replies.