• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weirdest Rail Rolling Stock and Infrastructure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
to potentially allow future GC gauge rolling stock to use the same platforms as UK gauge rolling stock without leading to a large platform gap for UK gauge rolling stock

Crewe would be a good example of where it could work

What happens on the ‘outer’ side of the gauntleting?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

popeter45

What happens on the ‘outer’ side of the gauntleting?
i think we are getting a bit mixed up here
what im suggesting is when a station is remodelled for HS2 the HS2 platforms are gauged for GC but with Gauntlet tracks they move closer to the platform for UK gauge trains to use when they stop at these platforms
e.g. see this image for refrence
1598301980665.png

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
i think we are getting a bit mixed up here
what im suggesting is when a station is remodelled for HS2 the HS2 platforms are gauged for GC but with Gauntlet tracks they move closer to the platform for UK gauge trains to use when they stop at these platforms
e.g. see this image for refrence
View attachment 82693

I know what you’re saying, which means that the gap between the platforms needs to be wider. A lot of complication for trains that aren’t going to appear on our network.

Incidentally, the width of a GC gauge train isn’t that much more than U.K. W6, which means that the extra rail may not actually be able to fit as it would be too close to the existing rail. A pway engineer might explain better.

philjo

Established Member
The platforms (or lack of) at Bohinjska Bistricia in Slovenia. Walk between the car train and loco to access the main platforms for boarding the service to Jesenice!BE2988A1-A3FF-4ED8-96C3-329BAF9FB904.jpeg2E99F27C-1348-40AD-A677-F43BCF254285.jpegFEDBC016-A8F3-40BC-A9ED-0DD8CB6A8E4A.jpeg0ED30F6D-89BB-45BA-9714-652CB9298E41.jpeg

Also liked the 1m gauge train from Lucerne which came to a rack section and then went uphill to serve a village the the top of a hill before going back down into the valley!

hst43102

to potentially allow future GC gauge rolling stock to use the same platforms as UK gauge rolling stock without leading to a large platform gap for UK gauge rolling stock

Crewe would be a good example of where it could work
Won't work because all our trains are high floor. Can you imagine how big the gap would be if something like the example above were used at Crewe? :lol:

MarcVD

I came across gauntlet tracks on Wikipedia today:
Mostly not that weird, but the example I've linked does look odd.

(Wonder if they'll introduce these in the UK if they ever try to migrate to a large loading gauge...)

There are still 3 tunnels with gauntlet tracks on the belgian network : one in Grammont and one in Jamioulx - both because of loading gauge issues - and a third one in Gemmenich, this time between the two regular tracks, to allow passage of out of gauge shipments.

Status
Not open for further replies.