• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Welwyn Garden City - Market Rasen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Failed Unit

Established Member
All,

Got an odd one here, which I am not sure if it is possible.

I am travelling as per subject,
Offered at £15.10 fare, change at Stevenage and Lincoln. Depart 11.56 and arrive 15.46

I have a bike.

Is it possible to book onto the following route without splitting.
12.56 WGC
13.28 Stevenage - Newark Northgate (14.33)
This leg if I split costs £22.20

15.00 Newark Castle - Market Rasen (15.46)
This let costs £12.80

So it is a bad split price wise, but I understand the journey planners say you must allow 40 minutes to walk the 1 mile between the stations, I was wondering if it is ever possible to reduce this, as I can do it on the bike in under 10. I have tried a few options, the split is never going to save money, but it is often over £10 more expensive than the 90 min connection. (in this case buying the super off-peak fare looks better value then the split)

I haven't tried splitting at Peterborough yet, but could have the same problem with the non-compliant interchange at Newark.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

miklcct

On Moderation
Because your second leg (Newark Castle - Market Rasen) is unreservable it will not be printed on your paper ticket, so you can take any reasonable connection.

realemil

So it is a bad split price wise, but I understand the journey planners say you must allow 40 minutes to walk the 1 mile between the stations, I was wondering if it is ever possible to reduce this, as I can do it on the bike in under 10. I have tried a few options, the split is never going to save money, but it is often over £10 more expensive than the 90 min connection.
No, it's not possible to 'reduce this'. It's the minimum connection time, and it can't be changed.

Every station has its own minimum connection time which is set in stone.

You can purchase the tickets by splitting if you would like. BUT, be aware that if you do, it's your responsibility to make it on time. If you miss any connection between the two stations, no Delay Repay is claimable, and if on advanced tickets, you wouldn't be able to board the next service.

Staff may think differently or whatnot, and let you get on without checking your delayed service (happened to me previously), but just be aware of this risk.

Failed Unit

Established Member
No, it's not possible to 'reduce this'. It's the minimum connection time, and it can't be changed.

Every station has its own minimum connection time which is set in stone.

You can purchase the tickets by splitting if you would like. BUT, be aware that if you do, it's your responsibility to make it on time. If you miss any connection between the two stations, no Delay Repay is claimable, and if on advanced tickets, you wouldn't be able to board the next service.

Staff may think differently or whatnot, and let you get on without checking your delayed service (happened to me previously), but just be aware of this risk.
Thanks that is what I thought. Only an issue northbound, definitely wouldn't risk it going South on an AP.

Just looked and Splitting at Grantham is the most cost effective.
£12.10 AP WGC - Grantham (depart 12.56)
£13.10 Any permitted single

Or I could just go to Lincoln and bike to Market Rasen ;)

Veteran Member
Because your second leg (Newark Castle - Market Rasen) is unreservable it will not be printed on your paper ticket, so you can take any reasonable connection.
On the OP's original plan, the main leg (2 of 3) is through to Lincoln not Newark, and the connection would only be from there.

miklcct

On Moderation
On the OP's original plan, the main leg (2 of 3) is through to Lincoln not Newark, and the connection would only be from there.
So the OP can force a connection at Newark at Trainsplit, get a paper ticket printed so the train from Newark is not shown on the ticket, and travel on any reasonable connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.