• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wem Station, Shropshire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveforrester

Some of you may be aware of recent problems with the level crossing at Wem, Shropshire. There have been a couple of occasions when the barrier hasn't come down while lights are flashing and a train has come through. There used to be a bridge on the station and there is growing pressure from everyone in the town to get another bridge.
Amazingly Network Rail dispute a bridge was there! I'm after any photos showing the station with the bridge, preferably ones that show the Wem station sign or signal box so there can't be any dispute where it is.
Any help appreciated.
Dave.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VP185

That train hasn't just barrelled over the level crossing though.

The train would have been bought to a stand at a red signal, the signaller then informs the driver that the crossing gates are not working correctly. The driver is then authorised to proceed past the red light at caution. Driver is not to pass over the level crossing unless he/she feels it is safe to do so.

It is not an unsafe situation.

Try this site for a picture though. http://www.wemlocal.org.uk/wemmap/aston/station.htm

Last edited:

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Looks like NR are actually (pedantically) correct, in that there wasn't a bridge AT the level crossing.

quarella

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-31694929

Level crossing barriers failed to close when trains ran through a Shropshire town at the weekend.

A photo was posted on Twitter, with a number of people questioning the safety of drivers and pedestrians as the automatic barriers failed to activate in Wem on Sunday evening.

Network Rail said the problem was caused by a sign blocking the barriers.

Witness Lindsey Bannister said it was "scary" and there was "nothing stopping people from driving across".

She said she was part of a long queue of traffic that had stopped at the crossing red lights at about 20:15 GMT on Sunday.

"All it would need is for one impatient person to have took a chance and it could have been a serious accident," she said.

"The next thing I saw was a big old fashioned train, the type with curtains in the windows and lamps on the tables, and it came through quite slowly, with the barriers still up.

"One of the guards on the train was hanging out of the window looking at the crossing as they went past."
Unmanned crossing

Network Rail said the problem was caused by a temporary road diversion sign on the crossing which was picked up by sensors.

"The barriers are designed to remain raised if something is detected beneath them, and the equipment is designed to stop the normal movement of trains if any object is detected on the crossing," the firm said.

"In this situation, the driver of each train is automatically stopped before getting to the crossing.

"Train drivers are then allowed to continue very slowly at caution with the specific instruction to only proceed over the crossing if it is clear to do so, the red flashing lights are operating and road traffic is not moving.

"This is in line with standard industry processes for safe operation."

The automatic system attracted criticism from some local people when it replaced a manned crossing in 2013.

At the time, some residents questioned the safety of the system, monitored remotely from Cardiff.

In previous years, Wem has been named by Network Rail as one of the worst crossings in the country for people ignoring red lights.

The picture on Twitter appears to show the red lights operating which are signal for road users to stop irrespective of barriers existing or operating.

I am not convinced a replacement bridge would be suitable considering human nature. It would now need to be built allowing access to wheelchair users therefore, subject to sufficient space with long shallow ramps the length of which are complained about by fully mobile users who would prefer a short flight of steps. The more costly alternative is a lift which would need monitoring during hours of operation.

Zoidberg

Established Member
The picture on Twitter appears to show the red lights operating which are signal for road users to stop irrespective of barriers existing or operating.

That is not in dispute.

Here is an extract from the local rag reporting the most recent fiasco. It's from

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/...ty-measures-after-wem-level-crossing-failure/

The automated safety barriers failed to close at the level crossing in Aston Street, Wem, on Sunday despite flashing lights warning of an approaching train.

Network Rail said the barriers did not go down because of a temporary road diversion sign causing an obstruction and the train went through at a reduced speed.

Last edited:

daveforrester

Thanks for the info.
I know it's safe so long as people obey the flashing lights, trouble is some didn't. Before train came through the other day at least 4 cars went over and who knows how many pedestrians. Also it wasn't just the one train, at least 2 came through. Picture on Twitter was the Arriva flyer going through earlier, you'll see someone described "old fashioned train" that was Northern Belle which uses this line regularly.
I love all things railway, that's why I'm on this forum. I live within sight of the crossing and big problem is that it cuts Wem in half. I've personally seen pedestrians jump over the barrier. There's a school just over the crossing and when they've been stuck down this has caused problems too, the call for a bridge isn't just related to this incident, it's been an ongoing issue.
Some have probably noticed if looked on Google maps that there is a footbridge way further down. The trouble is that to access it you have to use a public footpath through a muddy field over stiles etc. This is hardly suitable for those with mobility issues, pushchairs, carrying shopping etc. To get from one side to the other by road is around 4 miles through narrow country lanes.
Dave.

Last edited:

deltic08

On Moderation
If anybody passes a red light anywhere there is a risk of injury to them and to others. It is an offence to "jump" a red light on a road and people are prosecuted if caught. It should be the same at a level crossing even if there are barriers stuck in the up position. If you pass a red light at a level crossing and are hit by a train and killed it is not the fault of anybody else. A good example of natural selection weeding out the weak(in the head).

I am tired of people blaming others for their own stupidity.

Zoidberg

Established Member
If anybody passes a red light anywhere there is a risk of injury to them and to others. It is an offence to "jump" a red light on a road and people are prosecuted if caught. It should be the same at a level crossing even if there are barriers stuck in the up position. If you pass a red light at a level crossing and are hit by a train and killed it is not the fault of anybody else. A good example of natural selection weeding out the weak(in the head).

I am tired of people blaming others for their own stupidity.

It is the same at a level crossing. It is also one of the situations where the emergency services on blue lights do not have the discretion to proceed if the way appears to be clear.

daveforrester

I agree and think anyone ignoring flashing red lights at a crossing is prime candidate for a Darwin Award.
I'm hoping those that went over are prosecuted and named and shamed...

Altnabreac

Established Member
Some of you may be aware of recent problems with the level crossing at Wem, Shropshire. There have been a couple of occasions when the barrier hasn't come down while lights are flashing and a train has come through. There used to be a bridge on the station and there is growing pressure from everyone in the town to get another bridge.
Amazingly Network Rail dispute a bridge was there! I'm after any photos showing the station with the bridge, preferably ones that show the Wem station sign or signal box so there can't be any dispute where it is.
Any help appreciated.
Dave.

Asked my mother if she remembers the bridge but she says it was gone by 1969 when she moved to Wem so you need to be looking before then for pictures.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I was familiar with Wem (living nearby) as far back as a toddler in the 40s and can never remember a bridge there. Was always fascinated by the Crossing and hoping a train would come along..

MatthewB

If you have a look at old-maps.co.uk, and click on the 1926 1:2,500 it looks like there might be a footbridge at the station, just north of the station building. It doesn't appear on their earlier or later maps.

Elecman

Established Member
It is the same at a level crossing. It is also one of the situations where the emergency services on blue lights do not have the discretion to proceed if the way appears to be clear.

You are wrong there Emergency Services responding to an emergency using Blues and Twos can pass RedLights providing the driver stops first then proceeds slowly, however any subsequent accident would result in them being prosecuted.

Zoidberg

Established Member
You are wrong there Emergency Services responding to an emergency using Blues and Twos can pass RedLights providing the driver stops first then proceeds slowly, however any subsequent accident would result in them being prosecuted.

Not the flashing style as seen at such as level crossings, swing bridges.

Last edited:

ag51ruk

That isn't true for the Wig Wag lights provided at level crossings (and at some swing bridges, fire stations, etc).- no vehicle or pedestrian is permitted to pass those when activated. It's one of the reasons that level crossings have those lights rather than standard traffic lights

Llanigraham

On Moderation

As a blue light trained responder, not quite.

Standard "traffic lights":
The Law is that you MAY treat them as a Give Way.
You do NOT need to stop first.
You do NOT have right of way.
If there is an accident you MAY be liable.

You CANNOT pass flashing red lights, as found on level crossings or anywhere else, for any reason.

Last edited:

Drhwoods

Any help appreciated.
Dave.

Hi Dave I have a picture of Wem station and the bridge it shows the signal box too. Joyce

Status
Not open for further replies.