• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

were is it now??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprinterguy

Established Member
It looks like an HST that's been left too close to the fire and the front has melted...
It's funny that you say that, as some drawings that I've seen for the electric HST variant that was being developed in the mid eighties looked remarkably similar to the final form of the class 89. I think that when that project was dropped, a lot of the styling developments were carried over to the class 89, or it seems that way at least.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

doubleamber

89001_BHL_20070714.JPG

Don't think it is ugly.

Wasn't it called badger also?

Did see it once (at Euston),didn't get a pic.:-x

good photo.

route:oxford

Established Member
I do like the 89, although it looks a bit "sad".

Could someone clarify...

Does a Co-Co arrangement cause greater damage to the track than a Bo-Bo? I'd always understood that the load was spread over a greater area causing less damage.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I do like the 89, although it looks a bit "sad".

Could someone clarify...

Does a Co-Co arrangement cause greater damage to the track than a Bo-Bo? I'd always understood that the load was spread over a greater area causing less damage.
There's not only the axle weights to consider though, there's also the interaction between the wheels and the rail. It was explained in great technical detail some time in the past, but I can't remember the details.

zn1

89001 - the badger was a wonderful bit of kit that was never exploited fully she had plenty of potential that was never exploited fully, the badgers excellent pulling power was exploited and incorporated in to the channel tunnel tractors.

as for ugly -she has wonderful lines, and looks much better than those boxy 87/2's !! sorry i mean skodas, sorry i mean 90's !!

colchesterken

Ugly things seem to grow on me.I thought the Ford Anglia was ugly with the funny back window but grew to like it
The more I see of the cl 70 s on the GEML the more I admire them
If anyone wants to see a Q1 the Bluebell are rebuilding theirs will be able to sneek a look in the workshop at Sheffield Park guess it will be another year at least before it goes back in service

Smudger105e

Ugly things seem to grow on me.I thought the Ford Anglia was ugly with the funny back window but grew to like it
If anyone wants to see a Q1 the Bluebell are rebuilding theirs will be able to sneek a look in the workshop at Sheffield Park guess it will be another year at least before it goes back in service

I own three Ford Anglia's :D

Waldgrun

Sorry colchesterken but it's a Q class on the Bluebell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR_Q_class, sad to say only one of each type survived.

Status
Not open for further replies.