• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wernigerode to Hanover

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughesfowler

Going on a trip to the Harz soon and with the forecast not good was thinking of a day in Hanover. Does anyone know where I can get times and the fares please and anyone know if there is a small group ticket for 3.

Many thanks in advance for help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oscar

Fares Advisor
A small group ticket for 3 (valid at or after 09:00 Monday to Friday, anytime at weekends or Bank Holidays) costs 30 € from Bad Harzburg or Vienenburg to Hannover (Niedersachsen-Ticket), for times, see reiseauskunft.bahn.de . From Wernigerode you need a Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket (weekends, 44 € for 3 people) or a Quer-durchs-Land-Ticket (Monday - Friday at or after 09:00, 60 € for three people).

Last edited:

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
It is a 2 hourly diesel service - a sort of German class 175 - a pleasant ride with some interesting old school semaphore signals enroute. Did a day trip from Hanover very easily.

Gordon

Hi 'HughesFowler'

Not sure what your interests are but you don't have to go on the direct DMU. If you want to sample a traditional diesel hauled train, change at Bad Harzburg. Between Bad Harzburg and Hannover HBf the service is shared between 218 hauled trains and the plastic DMUs.

I know which I prefer.

Here's the area last April:

http://gwizz.piwigo.com/index?/category/68-germany_april_2013

Veteran Member
For the train times see http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml

To identify the loco-hauleds on Bad Harzburg-Hannover: they have train numbers RE14xxx- whereas the DMUs are RE36xx (and nothing like as comfortable as Class 175 IMO).

Bad H still (I think) has a splendid semaphore gantry at the station throat, so the hour's wait there is worth it.

If it's sightseeing you're after rather than train-watching, then Goslar is far more interesting than Hannover.

For a Hannover trip on a weekday I would suggest combining a Niedersachsen-ticket and a Sachsen-Anhalt ticket (also EUR30) as the NDS-ticket is valid on pretty much all public transport whereas the QDL is strictly train-only. You can buy both tickets at once from the machine at Wernigerode.

Another possibility is to use bus 260 WR-Bad H, but it's not very frequent
http://www.hvb-harz.de

For variety, you can go or return via Braunschweig, but your tickets aren't valid on IC trains BS-Hannover

Last edited:

hughesfowler

Thanks for your help, in the end did not make it to Hanover as we had every day with 3 or 4 hours sunshine in Wernigerode, and the rest of the network excluding the Brocken which was in cloud every day. There was no snow anywhere in low lying areas and what little there was in places like Alexisbad and Benneckenstein melted while were there.

On the Monday we hit lucky as the green mallet was on a Wenigerode to Nordhausen special, hired by a group of Dutch railway enthusiasts who had hired it for the day. I asked politely if they would mind if we followed th train to photograph it and they were very pleasant and had no problem in us doing so , even during their organised run pasts.

One thing i did notice was that people were asked to leave the yard at Wernigerode during the day, this being further confirmed by the car park barrier at the Imbiss car park opposite the sheds now having a full level crossing type barrier as opposed to just the pole you could duck under.

We had a day in berlin on the Wednesday coming home and again were lucky with the weather, would heartily recomend a climb to the top of the Berliner Dom, well worth the 7 euro entrance price as it is, but views of the line from Alexanderplatz are superb, be warned, think it was 272 steps to the top.

So 882 raw files now to be poured over and edited, will post the link to my flikr site when done, could be a long time lol.

Gordon

On the Monday we hit lucky as the green mallet was on a Wenigerode to Nordhausen special, .

I personally would consider that unlucky! I am a fan of day to day locos - in black please. I get fed up of seeing the 'celebrity' locos on such lines!

Status
Not open for further replies.