• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Coast Mainline HST sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I would like to know the formation of the HST sets that ran the Euston-Holyhead services for Virgin.

I've been trying to get an idea based on pictures from google searches, knowing vaguely what the formation will be. I'm looking for sets around 2000-2002ish, but the pictures I have seen have left me wondering what the actual formation was.

Some pictures show a 2+8 formation with a first class buffet and two first open coaches, whilst others show a 2+7 formation with a standard class buffet and one first class coach. I've even seen a picture of a 2+8 set with a standard class buffet and two first opens.

Does anyone know the usual formation?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlexS

Established Member
I think the VWC allocated ones were standard 2+8 sets formed TGS TS TS TS TS TFRB TF TF

But also that VXC 2 + 7 sets formed TGS TS TS TS TS TSRB TF appeared every now and then, much like VWC loco hauled stock sometimes made it down to the West Country in summer on hire.

The VWC HST's were indeed 2+8, there were 3 sets for VWC services mainly Holyheads & Blackpools with balancing workings to/from Manchester for maintainance at Longsight. The sets were allox at Laira and think there used to be an ECS once a week to swap sets.

Occasionally it was possible to have a VXC 2+7 set if the VWC set had failed, but most of the time if a HST was not available then the service would be Electric-locohauled to Crewe/Preston for Class 47 forward. Yes even the Blackpool went through if it was loco-hauled.

Status
Not open for further replies.