• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Midlands Super off peak day return

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclops

These tickets are £2 for any return within West Midlands zones 1 - 5, valid after 1830. Would this ticket be valid outbound, on a train timetabled to depart before 1830, but, due to late running, actually departing after 1830?

It would be a London Midland service, the only info I have gleaned is that the ticket is 'valid on evening off peak services'.

Any thought appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Here are details of the restriction 'EF' from Avantix NFM10
Restriction : EF
EGS/EGF/EGP
Super off-peak day single/
return/group (Network West
Midlands Evening flat fare)

GENERAL

The Network West Midlands
Super Off-Peak fare is a flat
fare available from 1830 hours
within the Network_West
Midlands area (West Midlands
PTE) area at:
Adult single/return £2.00
Child single/return £1.00
Group £6.00.

IT IS AVAILABLE

Between any two stations in
the Network West Midlands area
but only for travel from 1830
Mondays to_Sundays.

Return journeys must be made
the same evening as the
outward journey.

Available to adults,
accompanied children and
groups of 4 (children will be
allowed as part of the group
as long as at least one_adult
is in the group). The_group
must travel together at all
times. This fare is not
available to children
travelling on their own.

PERIOD OF VALIDITY.

As per the date of travel on
the ticket.

AVAILABILTY

Network West Midlands Super
Off-Peak fares are only
available from staffed Ticket
Ofices within the Network West
Midlands area (and on the
Walsall Line up to Rugeley
Trent Valley). They cannot be
purchased on train unless the
passenger is travelling from
an unstaffed station.

The Network West Midlands
Super Off-Peak fares cannot be
purchased for travel on the
last running service of the
day.

No_Railcard discounts allowed.
Given the wording, for this particular restriction, providing "travel" is made after 1830 I see no reason why you cannot take a train that was timed to depart earlier than 1830.

According to ATOC, there are three "categories" or "names" of ticket, and "The new fare names describe when you can buy or use your ticket, making it easier for you to decide what ticket suits your journey" so merely by looking at the name Super Off Peak, that describes it's valid after 1830 - apparently. If you think this is misleading, feel free to contact ORR. An example is given "For example if you buy an Anytime fare, you can use it to travel any time during the day." but strangely they do not give an example for Super Off Peak. I wonder why ;)

cyclops

Thanks for that, here is the back story. Pitched up at Shirley station ~1831 and asked for an evening return to Coventry.( A new clerk, never seen her there before) sold me the ticket and told me that the earliest train I could catch would be the 1839 even though the 1818 was running late. I replied that it was the 'time' of the train not the 'train' itself that was important but she just reiterated that the next train was 1839. I caught the 1818 which left Shirley at 1835.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Some restriction codes refer to the time the train is scheduled to depart (but even then, you could ask the guard as many would show discretion), some refer to joining at certain stations on trains departing at certain times, some refer to the time the train is scheduled to arrive at a certain station. In this situation, if I had time to argue the point, I'd ask the clerk to look up what the restriction text actually said. I also see nothing wrong in boarding a train anyway when the clerk is wrong - they're more often wrong than guards in my experience and it's not exactly unknown for clerks to claim valid tickets are invalid, sadly.

Until proper, sufficient checks are made, this sort of problem will continue. Yes mystery shopping does occur but it's insufficient and ineffective.

Status
Not open for further replies.