• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Pomerania länderticket validity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemmy99uk

I intent to spend a few days in the north east of Germany in the summer and plan to use ländertickets to get around.
Does anyone know if the above ticket will allow me to travel all the way to Swinoujście Centrum in Poland, or do I need a separate ticket from Seebad?
Also, what is the crossing like? Is it a normal European ‘in name only’ border post or are there passport checks.
With a bit of luck I will be there before any Brexit happens.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

iainbhx

I intent to spend a few days in the north east of Germany in the summer and plan to use ländertickets to get around.
Does anyone know if the above ticket will allow me to travel all the way to Swinoujście Centrum in Poland, or do I need a separate ticket from Seebad?
Also, what is the crossing like? Is it a normal European ‘in name only’ border post or are there passport checks.
With a bit of luck I will be there before any Brexit happens.

Yes, I believe it will. Not used one myself, but it has some interesting availability which is listed here.

It's a standard Schengen border, but you may be asked for a passport when your MeVo-ticket is inspected.

433N

Yes, I believe it will. Not used one myself, but it has some interesting availability which is listed here.

That is my understanding too - but I haven't used one. I was looking into this ticket myself and was surprised that validity extended into Poland. Equally, I was surprised that it extends to Luebeck in Schleswig-Holstein which may be of more use to me.

I'm not sure that it's possible to do a return into Poland from Luebeck on local trains in a day though !
(On Edit : Although looking at https://www.bahn.de/p/view/mdb/bahn..._tickets/2018/mdb_266327_171210_mv_171106.pdf
suggests that a day trip to Szczecin might be possible since they are both on the RE4 line )

Last edited:

notlob.divad

Established Member
Just remember when here in Poland you are required to carry ID either national ID cards or Passport. Whilst you won't be asked for a passport at the border, inspectors are well within their rights to ask for your ID when checking your ticket. This has happened to me travelling by train between Gdansk and Szceczin. So would hazard a guess it is more likely to happen on the cross border services.

Veteran Member
As iainbhx has already said, you need ID for a Laenderticket anyway.

And, in principle, you must have a photo ID with you in Germany at all times anyway. So no new special documentation is needed to cross into Poland.

davetheguard

Established Member
I've used this ticket to Szceczin in Poland & back (German name Stettin) with no problems. Passports were also checked on the train on the outbound journey.

paddington

And, in principle, you must have a photo ID with you in Germany at all times anyway.

This is not true. You must possess a form of ID, but you don't need to carry it with you. Police may be satisfied with a photocopy, otherwise you would have to bring them to wherever you kept it.

You must carry ID to cross the border to Poland, whether or not anybody checks it. So obviously it's easier to just carry your passport with you anyway. In Poland you must carry ID at all times.

Regarding the ticket, you need to write your name on it because it is not transferable. Which doesn't mean anything unless you can demonstrate that it's your official name, but I don't think you are specifically required to present a passport to a ticket inspector - they may accept other forms of ID, and personally I've never been asked for ID when travelling on these tickets.

Brexit has nothing to do with any of this, the same would be true for e.g. an American traveller and the USA is not in the EU.

D6700

I've never been asked for ID when travelling on these tickets.

A few years ago, on a Metronom train, the guard demanded to see my passport. I asked why, to which he said it was to confirm it was my Niedersachsen ticket.

davetheguard

Established Member
A few years ago, on a Metronom train, the guard demanded to see my passport. I asked why, to which he said it was to confirm it was my Niedersachsen ticket.

And I was asked for I.D. last Summer to support my Laender Ticket on an Abellio-operated train from Eisenach in Thueringen state.147. Inside of Abellio EMU at Eisenach..JPG

Spoorslag '70

Regarding the ticket, you need to write your name on it because it is not transferable. Which doesn't mean anything unless you can demonstrate that it's your official name, but I don't think you are specifically required to present a passport to a ticket inspector - they may accept other forms of ID, and personally I've never been asked for ID when travelling on these tickets.
In the "Beförderungsbedingungen und Beförderungsentgelte des Aktionsangebots ,,Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket"", dated 11th December 2016, it says under section 3.4 "Bei der Fahrkartenkontrolle ist auf Aufforderung die Identität durch einen amtlichen Lichtbildausweis nachzuweisen."
This roughly translates to: You have to show an official photo ID* when asked.
*At least for Online-Tickets, they further specify it should be either a national ID card or a passport.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This is not true. You must possess a form of ID, but you don't need to carry it with you. Police may be satisfied with a photocopy, otherwise you would have to bring them to wherever you kept it.

In the "Beförderungsbedingungen und Beförderungsentgelte des Aktionsangebots ,,Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket"", dated 11th December 2016, it says under section 3.4 "Bei der Fahrkartenkontrolle ist auf Aufforderung die Identität durch einen amtlichen Lichtbildausweis nachzuweisen."
This roughly translates to: You have to show an official photo ID* when asked.
*At least for Online-Tickets, they further specify it should be either a national ID card or a passport.

I think its good practice to carry your own passport with you at all times when abroad - if anything to prevent it from getting lost as well as to assist in any ID queries from officials.

dutchflyer

Established Member
In DE you must also have an official ID in ''grenznahe bezirke''=those areas that are close/adjacent to borders. applies to everyone, i DK from what age. Well-we on the continent have handy little Id-cards fuor such purpose, lasting 10 yrs and costing much less as an officla passport-book.
Note that for Mac-Pomm (es the germans call it nicknamed=Mecklenburg Vorpommern) there are 2 varieties of landestticket:
1.for the state only-23 or 24€ for 1 p.
2.the Schleswig-Holstein one is also valid in M-V and thus from danish till Polish border, it cost 29eur, or so. can also buy at any machine in M-V.
Both tickets are indeed also valid till the recent extension to Swinemuende (Swinoujscie) and Stettin, even includes urban transit in Stettin!

Spoorslag '70

In DE you must also have an official ID in ''grenznahe bezirke''=those areas that are close/adjacent to borders. applies to everyone, i DK from what age.
Could you provide a link to the relevant legislation?
I can't seem to find anything that would indicate this.

You only have to possess an ID card or a passport and be able to show it to officials. The relevant legislation makes no mention of areas close to borders whatsoever. What you describe looks more like DDR legislation which is thankfully out of date by a couple of decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.