• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Somerset Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Enthusiast

Many heritage lines have trumpeted this utopian 'community railway' ideal over the years. Precisely none have succeeded in making it work.
Whilst not strictly a "heritage" railway, The Romney Hythe & Dymchurch ran a very successful "school train" for pupils of Marsh Academy. It ran from 1977 t0 2015.

paul1609

Established Member
Whilst not strictly a "heritage" railway, The Romney Hythe & Dymchurch ran a very successful "school train" for pupils of Marsh Academy. It ran from 1977 t0 2015.
The service was a charter by Kent County Council and was withdrawn because of falling passenger numbers so it was run at no financial risk to the RH&DR.

duffield

Established Member
For most of those who use it, it is free after 0930 - they'd hardly be likely to switch to the less convenient train and have to pay!
If you have to pay full fare, the best info I can find is £13 or less. The bus company don't seem to want you to know their specific single/return fares, the £13 is for a day ticket. There were some non-specific references to 'from £5' so it might be £10, I'd doubt it's any less.

I think it's pretty appalling they don't publish a proper fare table.

Perhaps somebody local can let us in on the secret?

E759

Same all over, travelled Linlithgow to Bo’ness on Tuesday, how much? No idea, I live in another country and no fares listed online. (£4.90 return - I took a pocket full of coins as one does in these situations).

fireftrm

I don't think NYMR run any specially-modified coaching stock for modern requirements, but I'm probably wrong.
This website may be of some use:
https://www.rssb.co.uk/Standards-an...try-Standards/Heritage-rail-vehicle-standards

-Peter
NYMR have a modified Mk1 disabled coach in each set, marshalled next to the guard's van which carries a ramp so that access can be made and through to the carriage, the vestibule doors have been amended to give a larger aperture for wheelchairs and the first sets of seats either side have tables and seats on the vestibule side removed.

Peter C

Established Member
NYMR have a modified Mk1 disabled coach in each set, marshalled next to the guard's van which carries a ramp so that access can be made and through to the carriage, the vestibule doors have been amended to give a larger aperture for wheelchairs and the first sets of seats either side have tables and seats on the vestibule side removed.
Oh OK - that's good. And to be expected, really. :)

-Peter

alexl92

Established Member

When you say ‘marshalled next to the Guard’s van’, that makes me think that it’s in a separate, adjacent vehicle but surely it would make more sense for it to be integrated into the Brake coach itself. Have I misunderstood?

fireftrm

When you say ‘marshalled next to the Guard’s van’, that makes me think that it’s in a separate, adjacent vehicle but surely it would make more sense for it to be integrated into the Brake coach itself. Have I misunderstood?
You haven't misunderstood but the amendments that would have to be made to the parcels area to provide seating, heating, lighting etc plus the loss of that area for the storage of bicycles, wheelchairs, buggies and prams would be a real problem. Having the adjacent coach, through one vestibule, modified is far more practicable at present

leezer3

I can't see it as being that difficult?

The NNR has got 2 modified in this manner (Classified as DGS- Disabled & Guards Saloon, although I don't know if this is an official BR derived designation) and I've certainly seen similar elsewhere too.

Don't forget it doesn't remove the area for buggies / bikes, just makes it multi-purpose, although to be fair they do add an additional CCT for this in peak season :)

fireftrm

I can't see it as being that difficult?

The NNR has got 2 modified in this manner (Classified as DGS- Disabled & Guards Saloon, although I don't know if this is an official BR derived designation) and I've certainly seen similar elsewhere too.

Don't forget it doesn't remove the area for buggies / bikes, just makes it multi-purpose, although to be fair they do add an additional CCT for this in peak season :)
the ELR has a good conversion but it does lose the buggy/bike space, but the NYMR carriages run on Network Rail and conversions would require approval

alexl92

Established Member
You haven't misunderstood but the amendments that would have to be made to the parcels area to provide seating, heating, lighting etc plus the loss of that area for the storage of bicycles, wheelchairs, buggies and prams would be a real problem. Having the adjacent coach, through one vestibule, modified is far more practicable at present

So, does this mean that the gangways on two coaches are modified, and those two coaches always have to be marshalled next to each other? (Sorry! Just trying to understand the practicalities, not questioning your wisdom!)

fireftrm

No there are no modifications to the structure or gangways, the gangways are already wide enough for wheelchair to pass through, just the vestibule (non-toilet end) doorway to carriage saloon has a small part of the woodtaken out to widen the opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.