• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Yorkshire off-peak bus and train Daysaver

Greetings all!

I am planning a trip to Bradford this weekend and have my tickets there and back sorted.

While there I plan to do some travelling around on the Sunday and think that a West Yorkshire off peak bus and rail Daysaver is the way forward.

I'd like to buy this in advance of Sunday so that I don't end up buying a single bus fare to the railway station on top of the Daysaver price. Ideally I'd buy it on arrival at Bradford Forster Square, but my train doesn't get in until approx 21:30, and the ticket office closes at 20:00. The Interchange ticket office is also closed at that time.

Apart from buying on the Mcard app, which gives me battery anxiety, or swallowing the £2 single (or walking) into Bradford or Shipley to buy it at the ticket office, the only other potential option is to buy it on arrival at Forster Square from the ticket vending machine.

Does anyone know if the Northern TVMs at BDQ sell this type of ticket for a future date, or if there's any other way to buy the ticket that isn't reliant on having to show it on my phone?

Grateful for any advice!

Kind regards
tt

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Greetings all!

I am planning a trip to Bradford this weekend and have my tickets there and back sorted.

While there I plan to do some travelling around on the Sunday and think that a West Yorkshire off peak bus and rail Daysaver is the way forward.

I'd like to buy this in advance of Sunday so that I don't end up buying a single bus fare to the railway station on top of the Daysaver price. Ideally I'd buy it on arrival at Bradford Forster Square, but my train doesn't get in until approx 21:30, and the ticket office closes at 20:00. The Interchange ticket office is also closed at that time.

Apart from buying on the Mcard app, which gives me battery anxiety, or swallowing the £2 single (or walking) into Bradford or Shipley to buy it at the ticket office, the only other potential option is to buy it on arrival at Forster Square from the ticket vending machine.

Does anyone know if the Northern TVMs at BDQ sell this type of ticket for a future date, or if there's any other way to buy the ticket that isn't reliant on having to show it on my phone?

Grateful for any advice!

Kind regards
tt
I usually use the app which is a bit irritating as it closes the ticket whenever you swap to another app (and be aware there's a switch to swap between showing the Rail and Bus codes).

There's the same type of machine at Keighley - I can have a look on Friday to see if that allows such a purchase.

Are you meeting a Friend who could buy one in advance for you from a station?

Is there anywhere you change en route (I'm thinking Leeds, most likely)?

jamiearmley

All the Northern TVMS will sell you the daysaver ticket you want for a future date.
Just select RANGERS AND ROVERS on the main screen and then type in west Yorkshire or WY, all the options will present themselves. Remember to change the date to the date you want.

For that matter, the extremely helpful ticket office staff at Forster Square will also sell you this ticket for a future date - more quickly and easily than the TVM. I recognize that the office will be closed when you arrive, however : but any ticket office on the network should be able to retail you this ticket in advance, not just one in West Yorkshire.

So too, in fact, will any train conductor, (for example, the one on the train to Bradford the day before) - and all the staffed bus stations, and many post offices still retail the scratch off daysaver as well.

If you get to Forster Square in advance of travel, and the ticket office is shut, and the TVM won't play ball, just ask the barrier staff : they have a machine, and will print you the ticket you want for any date you require.

It really is quite easy - and I would agree, a paper version is best.

Have a great day out!

Hello both...thank you very much for the information. The National Rail website implied that the ticket was only available from ticket offices in West Yorkshire, but if it can be purchased from any station on the network I can just buy one from King's Cross before I board.

No idea whether the bus station ticket office at Bradford Interchange is open given the current shenanigans. I'd actually prefer a scratch-off as if plans change it's not a problem as I just don't need to activate it, but hey-ho.

I'm trying to spend less screen time on my phone so paper tickets give me one less reason to pull my phone out :)

I am meeting a friend, but in Bradford on Sunday morning and we're travelling from different ends of the city. And I managed to book the direct 18:33 KGX to BDQ so no change at LDS.

Thanks so much for laying all the various options out so clearly. I will try my best to have an excellent day out!

Veteran Member
Hello both...thank you very much for the information. The National Rail website implied that the ticket was only available from ticket offices in West Yorkshire, but if it can be purchased from any station on the network I can just buy one from King's Cross before I board.
You might have to tell them where to find it :)
No idea whether the bus station ticket office at Bradford Interchange is open given the current shenanigans. I'd actually prefer a scratch-off as if plans change it's not a problem as I just don't need to activate it, but hey-ho.
There is some sort of temporary bus ticketing facility in the railway booking office, but I don't know what exactly it offers - might be something on the Metro website?

redreni

I tried to buy this very ticket from Kings Cross when I went to Halifax recently. I even supplied the relevant code which I got from BRFares. No dice.

On that occasion I had 8 minutes for a change of trains at Doncaster and was able to buy it there (I bought it from the ticket office but it was also on sale from the Northern TVM), which goes to show there is no rule limiting the sale of this ticket to West Yorkshire.

Perhaps you'll have more luck at Kings Cross than I did. If not the TVM may be your best bet.

I usually use the app which is a bit irritating as it closes the ticket whenever you swap to another app (and be aware there's a switch to swap between showing the Rail and Bus codes).
That's interesting

When I bought this ticket from Doncaster ticket office recently I was given it on bogroll ticket stock with just a single 3d barcode which worked on trains and at stations but wouldn't scan on any of the buses I used. I wondered why that was, but I suppose it's hardly surprising if two different codes are needed!

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
All the Northern TVMS will sell you the daysaver ticket you want for a future date.
Just select RANGERS AND ROVERS on the main screen and then type in west Yorkshire or WY, all the options will present themselves. Remember to change the date to the date you want.

For that matter, the extremely helpful ticket office staff at Forster Square will also sell you this ticket for a future date - more quickly and easily than the TVM. I recognize that the office will be closed when you arrive, however : but any ticket office on the network should be able to retail you this ticket in advance, not just one in West Yorkshire.

So too, in fact, will any train conductor, (for example, the one on the train to Bradford the day before) - and all the staffed bus stations, and many post offices still retail the scratch off daysaver as well.
Officially this isn't supposed to be sold outside West Yorkshire, probably because there used to be special stock for the ticket.

Post offices haven't sold this ticket for a couple of decades I'm afraid.

At Bradford Interchange there is a machine for topping up MCards (including with the ticket the OP wants) but it's inside the rail ticket office, so only available when that's open.

toffeedanish

There is some sort of temporary bus ticketing facility in the railway booking office, but I don't know what exactly it offers
Metro's Travel Centre staff have relocated to work next to Northern's ticket office staff at Bradford Interchange (rail station). They offer their full usual range of services inclusive of selling scratch-off WY Daysaver Bus & Train (Adult, Family or Group).

AY1975

Established Member
Does this mean that Northern TVMs will now sell you any rover or ranger ticket for anywhere in the country for a future date as well as for the day of purchase?

I know that until recently you could only buy them from a Northern TVM on the day that you wanted to use them (obviously no use for a Scottish or Cornish rover, for example) although I understood that Northern had plans to make them available from its TVMs in advance of the day of travel at some point in the future. If this has now happened, then great.

Haywain

Veteran Member
You replied to someone suggesting the TVM if they hadn't managed to buy at Kings Cross.
Which, as written, suggested the TVM at King's Cross. Is it so terrible that I pointed out that wouldn't be possible?

redreni

Which, as written, suggested the TVM at King's Cross. Is it so terrible that I pointed out that wouldn't be possible?
I agree that wouldn't be possible.

I meant at Bradford as per the suggestion further up the thread, but my words were ambiguous so well worth clarifying.

Does this mean that Northern TVMs will now sell you any rover or ranger ticket for anywhere in the country for a future date as well as for the day of purchase?

I know that until recently you could only buy them from a Northern TVM on the day that you wanted to use them (obviously no use for a Scottish or Cornish rover, for example) although I understood that Northern had plans to make them available from its TVMs in advance of the day of travel at some point in the future. If this has now happened, then great.
I'm afraid I live down south so can't check this point about the Northern TVMs. Perhaps somebody could do so if they have a chance?

Because my commute takes me past several staffed ticket offices run by various different operators (TfL-EL, GTR, Southeastern), if it were me I'd be tempted to try a scattergun approach at every ticket office I passed. They may not have sold many, or any, of these before but there's no reason why they couldn't, as far as I know.

If you try that I'd ask for it by name and also supply the code K701, which may help them find it.

All of the above assumes the OP will arrive in Bradford too late in the evening to buy a scratchcard Daysaver from the travelcentre staff currently squatting in the ticket office at Bradford Interchange. Unless they have some seriously impressive opening hours?

Last edited:

HurdyGurdy

Is it so terrible that I pointed out that wouldn't be possible?

It's not terrible. As I read it, you asked a question - whether the TVM the OP was enquiring about was at King's Cross. I thought I was being helpful by posting what I thought was the answer.

Sorry to have got it so horribly wrong.

Posting on this forum is like walking through a minefield.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
All of the above assumes the OP will arrive in Bradford too late in the evening to buy a scratchcard Daysaver from the travelcentre staff currently squatting in the ticket office at Bradford Interchange. Unless they have some seriously impressive opening hours?
They don't.

On a Saturday they close at 1630.

The Rail part of the office closes at 2015.

One more option for the OP, but probably now too late, is to order an MCard. You'd need a phone with NFC to load a ticket onto it via the MCard app, but you wouldn't then need to keep your phone charged. Or you'd be able to put a ticket on at the machine at Bradford Interchange, which apparently lives outside the ticket office.

Last edited:

HurdyGurdy

No problem.

There is a problem with forum culture here, which I've not experienced anywhere else online. This, and other recent incidents I have found upsetting, have convinced me that not posting on RailUK is easily the best policy, so #286 will be my last.

janb

No, not on my stations TVM at least. Still only for on the same day.

redreni

No, not on my stations TVM at least. Still only for on the same day.
That's an irritation, I must say.

Unhelpful for those in the OP's position of arriving late at night and wanting the Ranger to cover the next day's travel, when he may well want to start his first journey of the day at a suburban bus stop.

Also unhelpful for those wanting to use a combination of tickets, including the WY Daysaver, for their rail journey into West Yorkshire from elsewhere. They may be splitting their tickets at a station at the county boundary (as I was when I tried unsuccessfully to buy mine at Kings Cross and from a Hull Trains guard, forcing me to buy it at the final opportunity during an 8 minute layover at Doncaster otherwise I'd have had to download an app in order to buy it, which I had no particular desire to do).

Well, first of all I suppose I best apologise for sparking such a vigorous debate.

I thought I had a solution, but perhaps not. Maybe this will put it to bed.

I arrive into Bradford at 21:30 ish on Friday night. I'm due to go out for the day with my friend on Sunday. Here's my plan.

I'll ask the ticket office at KGX if they can sell me a WY off peak rail and bus Daysaver for Sunday. If so, happy days.

If not, I'll try the machine at BDQ. If it lets me buy one for Sunday, happy birthday.

If not, I have all day Saturday. I haven't decided what I'm doing Saturday yet. I may well end up in Bradford city centre at some point in which case I can call into BDQ or BDI and buy one. Or if not and the worst comes to the worst, I can use the MCard app and "suck up" having to use my mobile to get on the bus and the train.

Sunday morning I will, indeed, be starting my journey from a suburban bus stop and it's the £2 fare between there and Brdaford that would otherwise be covered by the.Daysaver I'm trying to avoid.

Thanks for your input and apologies again for any controversy that I inadvertently caused!

redreni

Worth trying the guard on the train up to Bradford, too.

Plus any other open ticket offices you may be passing on your way to Kings Cross.

Don't forget there are two ticket offices over the road at St Pancras (one EMR, one Thameslink) if you have time to try them before your train leaves.

There's no technical reason afaik why any ticket office can't sell a WY Daysaver, but sometimes they either can't find it or don't want to sell an unfamiliar ticket in case there are any quirks they don't know about (like it's supposed to be issued on a particular kind of ticket stock or whatever).

1D53

Established Member
Brave suggestion but assuming you're on the 1833 from Kings X the train dwells in Leeds for 14 minutes, if you're at the North end you'd have ample time to go through the barriers and to the ticket office....

TUC

Established Member
This discussion does lead back to the app being the most straightforward option. If you're worried about your battery, close the app when not using it and just open it whenever your ticket needs inspecting.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Just had a look at the TVM at Ilkley as I picked some tickets up and there's no option to change the date on Rovers, I'm afraid.

I don't think there's a way to order them for online pick up, either.