• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Westbury to London - Next Strike Weekend

peter166

I have already booked an off peak return from Westbury to London Paddington using GWR for the next strike weekend (5 & 6 April).
Hopefully the outward journey on 5 April will be Ok but would I be entitled to use an alternative route for the return on 6 April eg. from Waterloo via Salisbury to Westbury using SWR ?
Or should I just cancel & get a refund & drive instead ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Westbury-Salisbury-Waterloo is already a valid route on an off-peak return, no need for a special arrangement to be put in place. Also valid via Bath-Swindon-Reading and Reading-Waterloo as well as Reading-Paddington.

EDIT Unless your ticket is “VIA NEWBURY”; the above applies to ”ANY PERMITTED”. Apologies if your ticket is the cheaper "VIA NEWBURY" one because my information about a different ticket won't help you.

Last edited:

peter166

Thank you for the information. There is a SWR train at 0850 from Waterloo direct to Westbury & a 1750 as well.
Both take about 2 hours.
I need to corrrect the type of ticket I have. It is a SUPER off peak return. That shouldn't be a problem as its a Saturday?
Its 'any permitted' route.

jfollows

Established Member
Thank you for the information. There is a SWR train at 0850 from Waterloo direct to Westbury & a 1750 as well.
Both take about 2 hours.
I need to corrrect the type of ticket I have. It is a SUPER off peak return. That shouldn't be a problem as its a Saturday?
Its 'any permitted' route.
Super off-peak isn’t a problem, it's the "any permitted" that's important, and there aren't any restrictions on Saturday so that's fine also, so you can use any of the permitted routes including Waterloo-Salisbury. Doesn't have to be a through train, you can change at Salisbury at other times.

Last edited:

peter166

Yes I appreciate that changing at Salisbury is possible but unfortunately all the other services from Salisbury to Westbury are GWR which are unlikely to be running on a strike day (Sat 6/4/24)
Does anyone know if the Paddington to Bath will be running on 6/4?
I recall there was an hourly Paddington - Brisol TM which ran on the last few strike days ?
I could arrange to be picked up at Bath if that is the case.

jfollows

Established Member
Yes I appreciate that changing at Salisbury is possible but unfortunately all the other services from Salisbury to Westbury are GWR which are unlikely to be running on a strike day (Sat 6/4/24)
Does anyone know if the Paddington to Bath will be running on 6/4?
I recall there was an hourly Paddington - Brisol TM which ran on the last few strike days ?
I could arrange to be picked up at Bath if that is the case.
Yes, I keep forgetting the reason you want to go from Waterloo is the lack of GWR trains, anyway I think I helped with part of your quest, I can't answer the Bath question, though.

I lived in Bath in 1994/5 which was nice and the Waterloo-Bristol service was started up when I was there then. Its first incarnation ran non-stop between Basingstoke and Trowbridge which was great for me - I used it to go to IBM in Basingstoke occasionally and I didn't want any of the intermediate stops. Fortunately for you it now stops quite a bit more.