• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Westerfield Level Crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC47461

Hi all,

Question (or perhaps questions) for the signallers / others with technical and operational knowhow.

I am a bit puzzled. Today I took my boys to around Ipswich to see a bit of (mostly) freight on the Felixstowe branch and after an hour at Levington we went to Westerfield.
Just as we arrived, so did the 1307 Lowestoft-Ipswich which paused in the platform (some way back from the signal as it wasn't 'stopping') to wait for the barriers to go down and the signal to go green, which duly happened and off it went.
I then noticed the signal went green again shortly after, and stayed that way for the 1412 Felixstowe Nth FLT - Crewe Basford Hall to come thundering past, with the barriers apparently dropping automatically without the train having to wait.
During that time we noticed the tin rocket on the Felixstowe shuttle (153 335) had disgraced itself in Ipswich and wasn't coming back, but at exactly the time it was due in Westerfield (1504, 1458 ex- Ipswich), the barriers dropped, there was a tannoy annoucement saying the train was cancelled, and up they came again without anything going past.
So I guess I'm asking, why was a non-stop passenger train off the 'main' line held for the barriers, but the freight wasn't? And what happened with the barriers coming down for a train that wasn't even running? I'm sure there is a good explanation, but as I'm no expert I certainly have no idea!

I must say though, hats off to ALL the drivers, we got waves of all of them, and a light blast of the horn from one of the GBRF ones. So my boys were very happy. And the Felixstowe service went phut (technical term...) for the entire day....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MadMac

This is an AHB (Automatic Half-Barrier) at a station. I’m not familiar with the area, but I would surmise from your very detailed description that it’s fitted with Stop/Non-Stop controls. Basically, the signaller selects which type of train it is and the approach is handled differently dependent on that choice.

dk1

Veteran Member
It's all down to historic signalling associated with RETB until 2011. All trains off the East Suffolk had to stop to give up the token to Saxmundham box. For that reason the AHB didn't trigger until the trains arrived into the platform. When the timetable changed & Westerfield was withdrawn from most ES services in 2014 OP calls (for OPerating purposes) where introduced for UP trains only as the signalling could not be altered. Most of us roll through the platform at 5mph so as not to stop. This will all change later this year as Westerfield is to become a full barrier (not sure of MCBOD or CCTV off the top of my head) & thus ES services can speed through for the first time in almost 40yrs.

eastdyke

Established Member
It's all down to historic signalling associated with RETB until 2011. All trains off the East Suffolk had to stop to give up the token to Saxmundham box. For that reason the AHB didn't trigger until the trains arrived into the platform. When the timetable changed & Westerfield was withdrawn from most ES services in 2014 OP calls (for OPerating purposes) where introduced for UP trains only as the signalling could not be altered. Most of us roll through the platform at 5mph so as not to stop. This will all change later this year as Westerfield is to become a full barrier (not sure of MCBOD or CCTV off the top of my head) & thus ES services can speed through for the first time in almost 40yrs.
@swills posted this yesterday on the 'Doubling the Felixstowe Branch' thread:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/doubling-the-felixstowe-branch.167798/page-3#post-3991414
Felixstowe Resig / Trimley Loop project still on time for a 29th May opening, this weekend (4th May) MORSTON HALL AHB's close for OD conversion work, and will reopen on 29th May, (diversions in place) Levington 24/5 to 1/7 and Thorpe Lane 29/5 to 17/6 (only if Morston open) Westerfield Xing closed for CCTV conversion 24th May to 15th July (Diversions in place)
So CCTV, and quite soon.

AC47461

Thanks for the responses. Very helpful as always. Before Eastdyke confirmed it anyway, I would have said CCTV for the Xing if only because there are a tall yellow camera poles with equipment on already installed either side of the Xing.

I'm still a bit puzzled about the barrier dropping for a train that wasn't running, anyone know anything on that?

eastdyke

Established Member
For anyone affected by these works 'roadside', and have not seen local press, NR put out a release 10/4/19:
https://www.networkrailmediacentre....rossing-safety-on-the-felixstowe-branch-line#
Specifically for Westerfield:
A vehicle diversion route will be in place for drivers travelling to/from Ipswich through Westerfield and a temporary pedestrian bridge will be installed to maintain access across the railway for residents.
For those who photograph, the temporary bridge may give a new opportunity .....
(not that I would encourage any loitering on the bridge).

BS56

Perhaps the barriers are in some way activated in advance by train description or timetable and as soon as the signalman discovered the train was not going to run he cancelled it and a pre- recorded message is sent out and the barriers raised. I do not know if such a system exist on our network but it has all the hallmarks of it !

dk1

Veteran Member
Perhaps the barriers are in some way activated in advance by train description or timetable and as soon as the signalman discovered the train was not going to run he cancelled it and a pre- recorded message is sent out and the barriers raised. I do not know if such a system exist on our network but it has all the hallmarks of it !
No. Just activated by trains.

BS56

So what made the barriers lower ? The treadle must have been activated to initiate it and the one after the crossing to make raise them.

dk1

Veteran Member
So what made the barriers lower ? The treadle must have been activated to initiate it and the one after the crossing to make raise them.
Could've been track circuit failure. Lots of pway & S&T staff working in the area too.

Status
Not open for further replies.