• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weymouth With Jim, Dennis & The Slash &

Status
Not open for further replies.

Today was a very succesful day we had a great time saw loads.

73235+defective 2409
73109 waiting in the bay to assist 73235 to bomo (Pm me if need more info)
Various 442s
The blue pullman 47s

Day was excellent we all enjoyed it shame The slash cant post his thoughts :(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlexS

Established Member
Please stop posting ambiguous stuff with the something like 'Person X Knows What I Mean, or PM Me For Details'. Send the person in question a pm, if we aren't being told we don't want to know!

On a lighter note, good you enjoyed your day!

Coxster

Established Member
I have to agree with Alex. If you are going to make the information freely available to anyone who asks then why not just write it here? Anyway, sounds like you had fun. I got a bit fed up with contant moaning/train-spotter texts from Slash though. Would have turned my phone off but was expecting an important call...

They are taking it somewhere tonight. And the reason i diddnt post all of what i could was cos i diddnt think people would be intrested. But was more than happy to explain more if needed

Dennis

Established Member
Here's the story of the day;

Woken up by the alarm at 5.30, got up, performed bodily functionss etc and left the house, with Jim, ready to catch either the 06.44 to Salisbury for Waterloo or 06.38 to Bath Spa for Paddington.

Both of these were running at least 20mins late so much time was spent admiring the fine facilities at Trowbridge. The Bath bound service was not shown as running late on LDB but there appeared to be problems on the line with the signal aspects at Trowbridge constantly changing. By the time this service arrived (trailing a significant amount of foliage in one of the bogies), I had decided to save nearly £20 by travelling to Waterloo.

Arriving in Salisbury (observing 159102 & possibly 03 in the sidings) there was time for coffee before boarding our SWT 159 to Waterloo. What a contrast between the late running, tatty FGW unit and the on-time, spotless SWT train.

Pulling into Waterloo at 9.49, (after noting the Duffs at Clapham) time was available to purchase provisions and tickets for the onward journey to Weymouth - meeting The Slash and 73109 at the specified meeting point.

The journey on 2424 was undertaken in a first class compartment and the time quickly passed with much idle chit-chat. The Bill's Terry Perkins was spotted at Bournemouth. Arrival at Weymouth was ~10mins late, thanks in part to slow running around Farnborough (TSR's at a guess as our homeward journey was similarly afflicted).

Once disembarked at Weymouth, the sky opened up at it peed down, forcing plans for a wander down the quay branch to be aborted and shelter in suitable accomadation to be sought. This was provided by the Railway Tavern, across the road from the station, where lunch was taken. Fried breakfasts all around except myself (chilli con carne for me). This was washed down with liquid refreshments and before we knew it, the 15.00 departure time was almost upon us.

Heading back over the road to the station, the sun burst forth and it was time to depart on 2404. This time, seated in the lounge area, the sound of the traction was enjoyed up through Upwey and Bincombe Tunnel before settling down for more idle chit-chat.

At Bournemouth, we coupled to 2406, the buffet was opened and the guard vacated 2404. A combination of liquid refreshments (including Tanglefoot for myself), HO and idle chit-chat continued for the rest of the journey. Ride over Worting junction was noted as lively when 3x bottles of Pepsi and 1x can of Tanglefoot jumped off the buffet counter, severly injuring several accompanying packets of crisps when crash landing on the floor.

Arrival at Waterloo was on time (17.49); phots and goodbyes being made before obtaining provisions for the journey back to Wiltshire. This was aboard 170303 - another class in decline at SWT, in the company of a young lad whose mum and dad the table was shared with. The parents soon fell asleep leaving a bored young kiddie wide awake. To while away the time, I demonstrated how to pick your nose and other suitable activities which amuse six year olds.

Arriving a Salisbury, we awaited the onward FGW service back to Trowbridge. This was surprisingly on time (20.41) although many of the disembarking passengers were compaining about the service (not sure exactly why but many were muttering about overcrowding). Journey back to Trowbridge was uneventful although the train bogs were noted as being in an absolutely disgusting state (contrasting with those on SWT services where the only moan was a lack of soap in one of those sampled on 2424).

Overall, a pleasant day out - the 442's should be enjoyed while they are still running. Dessies won't have first class compartments, buffets, lounge areas, windows for HO or the distinctive sound of a great British EMU.

Coxster

Established Member
slow running around Farnborough (TSR's at a guess as our homeward journey was similarly afflicted).
Indeed. There are TSRs in affect just to the east of the station. As for DC Perkins, I dunno if he must live there as me and Dad thought we saw him (or a very good look-a-like) on the seafront a couple of years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.