• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"WFH is here to stay" - the hypocrisy of HS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cle

Established Member
Things move on. Consumer patterns evolve.

If the likes of fast fashion, Pret and Starbucks are going down, dry your eyes. Villages (inc urban villages) had major renaissances of local business and custom during the pandemic - WFH meaning a local coffee/sandwich shop vs a Costa is a win for me. Sorry, don't care about the billionaires who run them. But small businesses and local dynamic centres? Yes please.

Things were very different in 1938 vs 1946 after the war. Technologies and behaviours will constantly evolve. No point fighting it.

takno

Established Member
Things move on. Consumer patterns evolve.

If the likes of fast fashion, Pret and Starbucks are going down, dry your eyes. Villages (inc urban villages) had major renaissances of local business and custom during the pandemic - WFH meaning a local coffee/sandwich shop vs a Costa is a win for me. Sorry, don't care about the billionaires who run them. But small businesses and local dynamic centres? Yes please.

Things were very different in 1938 vs 1946 after the war. Technologies and behaviours will constantly evolve. No point fighting it.
Pret's doing very well indeed. They were never a huge change, acted aggressively during lockdown to close down stores they didn't think had long-term potential, and have more recently expanded hugely in the station market, where they seem to do every bit as well from leisure travellers as commuters. Costa meanwhile (which afaik is still owned by Coke) have massively cornered the market round my way in petrol station and convenience store coffee machines. Startbucks have a reasonably flexible franchise model, and a huge market amongst leisure users.

I don't think any of them will suffer enormously from this at all, but a fair number of independent catering outlets in office areas may well do.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't think any of them will suffer enormously from this at all, but a fair number of independent catering outlets in office areas may well do.

So they need to consider what changes they need to make, potentially even considering relocating.

Businesses exist to make a profit by way of serving customers. No business has a right to exist.

takno

Established Member
So they need to consider what changes they need to make, potentially even considering relocating.

Businesses exist to make a profit by way of serving customers. No business has a right to exist.
I don't disagree, I was just pointing out that this "chains will suffer and Indies will thrive" thing was over-optimistic at best. Soulless large companies with easy access to capital are much better-placed to survive and even grow through the disruption of Covid and the revolution of office workers working a couple of extra days from home

Status
Not open for further replies.