• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What’s the role of a conductor like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSTurbo50

I’m super excited to be starting as a conductor for Northern based out of Liverpool Lime Street and my training begins in February. To those that are already working as a conductor, what is the job like in the real world? do you encounter many difficulties with the day to day job? What’s the best part of the job and the worst? How long did it take for you to feel fully competent in what you were doing?

looking forward to hearing your stories

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ThePeakNed

Experiences obviously vary, but I had a mostly agreeable time being a conductor at Man Vic. Really enjoyed the late shifts, so much so I ended up doing them permanently for the 3 years I was in the role.

Route learning was a bit of a drag, but I felt pretty comfortable in the role as soon as I’d passed out and definitely after I had worked my first shift out on my own.

I know a handful of lads based at Liverpool, they’re a good bunch - just a crying shame the route card isn’t anything to write home about.

Best part of the job for me, having an interest in railways to start with (like most here), was simply the travelling to or from places. Worst parts of the job? They’re only bad if you go looking for them. There’s bits I didn’t overly like, like working the same route numerous times in the space of a week, or even a shift (things like Stalybridge shuttles), but by and large if you’re open minded enough, it’s an enjoyable role.

L401CJF

Established Member
I'm currently nearing the end of my training with a different TOC. At first the information seems to be an overload then suddenly clicks and its in your head. In our place we have done a topic, had an assessment on it, then onto the next bit. Keep revising everything youve done as it comes up again in the final exams! I've had a go at working trains with a minder and really enjoying it so far. I've got route learning to come and can't wait to get out there on my own!

One thing I would say is make sure you do your homework and read up on your notes, they arnt there to fail you as they're investing a fair bit of money to train you up but if you don't put the work in that's your issue.

Speaking to other colleagues nobody has a bad thing to say, they sing highly of the job and I've always been told its as easy or as difficult as you make it.

Just do things as you've been trained and don't give into peer pressure of more experienced staff who think their way is better and you shouldn't go wrong!

dalesrail

The Lime Street route card isn't too bad, although over the years they've lost routes such as Lancaster, Morecambe, Heysham, Bolton, Stalybridge and Huddersfield which will have made the typical working day a bit more diverse.

It's still one of the larger depots and you should enjoy your typical day at work. I think there are currently six links for conductors and you will start in the bottom and work your way up from there.

Rich.16

This thread has been very helpful for me aswell, I'm starting my career as a conductor in February with gwr.

Iv been a bus driver for 6 years and now it's time for a change but as you have said the job it was you make of it. I'm hoping that the job its challenging at times but I want to learn and possibly move up in the company, but we shall see I'm just so please iv made the cut and been picked for a position.

Good luck Rsturbo50 in your new venture

ThePeakNed

Speaking to other colleagues nobody has a bad thing to say, they sing highly of the job and I've always been told its as easy or as difficult as you make it.

Very true. If you join the railway with the intention of going out looking for trouble, you’ll find it. My advice is let situations play out for as long as you can - often other passengers will intervene and diffuse the problem before you as staff have to.

RSTurbo50

Im a bus driver and to be honest at our depot, its always the same drivers that tend to find trouble and I think they enjoy the agro. Im much more relaxed to be honest and genuinely try to get along with people. No point making yourself ill through stress etc.....at the end of the day we want to be able to get home after our shift and not end up in A+E.

Madrob360

I'm applying for a conductor role tomorrow, it says there's an online test to do, can anyone advise how long it takes to do and what that entails?

Last edited:

L401CJF

Established Member
I'm applying for a conductor role tomorrow, it says there's an online test to do, can anyone advise how long it takes to do amd what that entails?
The one I did was a multi choice situation based test if I remember rightly. Didn't take me long (maybe 30mins?). Have a search through the careers section on this forum and you'll probably find more details. The online tests vary from TOC to TOC

Madrob360

The one I did was a multi choice situation based test if I remember rightly. Didn't take me long (maybe 30mins?). Have a search through the careers section on this forum and you'll probably find more details. The online tests vary from TOC to TOC
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.