• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are the two outer tracks at Burton used for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comstock

They don't look abandoned, but I've never seen a train on them. Through trains use the tracks by the platforms. So what are the two outer tracks at Burton on Trent railway station used for?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class 9

They are goods lines, so freight, ECS, tampers etc use them & yes they are used.

miked

I live a stones throw from the station, and class 9 is right, they’re regularly used by freight trains, i have also been sat on a XC service on platform 1, which was sat waiting for a while due to a medical issue, the following xc service was allowed to pass using the outside lines.

Spartacus

Established Member
If you're in the area and pop down now you should be in time to see 60059 on an oil train to Kingsbury there.:smile:

Comstock

Not for beer trains then??:smile:
I'm not sure when beer stopped being sent by rail but I'm 45 and can't remember any such trains.

At one point there must have been beer freight services to London, would be interesting to know what route they took.

Last edited:

randyrippley

Established Member
I'm not sure when beer stopped being sent by rail but I'm 45 and can't remember any such trains.

At one point there must have been beer freight services to London, would be interesting to know what route they took.

beer train at Burton
taken from http://www.burton-on-trent.org.uk/category/amenities/railway
doesn't say a lot about routing though
NewStation02.jpg

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It's fairly well known that the vaults at St Pancras were designed around the dimensions of a beer barrel, and there was a large freight depot where the British Library now is. The Midland had the best route from Burton to London whether via Loughborough or via Ashby.

Status
Not open for further replies.