• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are these wagons for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

etr221

DB F-z 120 wagons, with 5 tipping skips for gravel & such traffic (I think revenue-earning rather engineering department) - the skips would be tilted to pour the load direct into lorries or 'high' level bins. See attached scan, from Taschenbuch Deutsche Güterwagen by Horst J. Obermayer. One of many attempts to facilitate goods handling - there was also a three skip version.

F-z2.jpg

John Webb

Established Member
Was there any speed limit for these wagons? Only the Centre of Gravity would be rather higher than most rail vehicles with the loads in those skips!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think they'd only be filled to the bottom of the doors (the widest point of the "hopper"), in which case the load wouldn't be great but the centre of gravity should be fine.

sarahj

Established Member
Funny, the only pictures I've ever seen these in use has been on ballast work on the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.