• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are unworked points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyrocket

Could somebody please explain to me what unworked points are? I have seen them mentioned in various rules but not sure how they differ to other points.
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LordCreed

Taken from the RSSB Glossary:

Unworked points - Points that are not operated from a signal box or ground frame.
Worked points - Points that are operated from a signal box or ground frame.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
To be fair worked catch points were always pretty rare. In their normal setting they would work as catch points, allowing trains through in one direction but derailing any in the other direction. But they could be set to pass trains in either direction. One reason for them was if a catch point was needed on a single line.

LOM

Becuase spring points (aka hydropneumatic or gas-bag points) aren't fitted as new now and catch points (for unfitted trains) aren't required any more. You did have worked and unworked catch points - there were a worked set near Harecastle on the WCML.
Yep I am aware of that, was just trying to expand on the previously given answers while keeping things simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.