• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What car are you intending to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D365

Veteran Member
Following on from Klambert's discussion, for those of those who do not own a car or are actively seeking to procure a new vehicle, what model do you intend to purchase?

Please note that I'd rather keep this to a discussion about cars that you are able to afford and not dream cars as such. I've always had a soft spot for McLaren road cars since they started up, but for my first daily driver I intend to purchase a Volkswagen Polo diesel. This is with an intended budget of appx. £4000, and I would like to purchase one that is less than ten years old.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

J-2739

Established Member
Is the 'dream car' a reference to my post in the over thread, eh? ;)

Well, I don't know how much would make, but assuming I become a wealthy doctor or architect, a cheeky Range Rover is set for my eyes.

Assuming that I end up on benefits street or something, then a used Ford Fiesta from the 90s...

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Assuming that I end up on benefits street or something, then a used Ford Fiesta from the 90s...

Oh, come on. If you're going for a used Fiesta, you want a proper one -
Mk1 XR2 :)

sk688

My Mum is looking at a Lexus GS450h , to replace her IS , but she is not sure whether it is very good , as there are quite a lot of mixed reviews online

Does anyone on this forum have a GS , and if so , could they say whether it is a good car or not

Bromley boy

Established Member
Following on from my contribution to the other thread, as and when my current 3 series dies, I'll be looking for another BMW.

I don't do that many miles so would be tempted by an E92 M3 or possibly an M4, depending how cheap they've got at the point I need to change.

I'd sway towards the E92 M3 for the V8 engine. Sadly an endangered beast these days.

The E46 M3 is fantastic, and getting pretty cheap, but they are long in the tooth these days and lots are now pretty ropey. I also suspect it wouldn't be different enough from my current 330 of the same vintage.

(Apologies, I'm a bit of a BMW fanboy :D).

RichmondCommu

Established Member

They were pretty quick.

However my Auntie Ann had a Mk1 Golf GTI imported from Germany in 1976 and for its day that was very quick! That said left hand drive made over taking very interesting.

D365

Veteran Member
Also, I forgot to mention that a bit of advice on my choice would be appreciated as well. Is the 2009-spec Polo a good choice? Quality driving experience and cheap to run/insure?

Bromley boy

Established Member
Also, I forgot to mention that a bit of advice on my choice would be appreciated as well. Is the 2009-spec Polo a good choice? Quality driving experience and cheap to run/insure?

In my experience the VW Polo is overpriced for what it is due to the snob appeal of the badge, stodgy to drive and expensive to fix.

A Fiesta of a similar vintage may well offer a more engaging drive and better value for money.

Worth test driving both and seeing what you prefer before you hand over the readies.

EDIT: it's also probably only worth going for a diesel if you do quite a high mileage, to realise the economy advantage, and do regular long drives to prevent the particle filter from clogging.

Small modern petrol engines run diesels close in terms of economy and are cheaper to maintain.

See the below link.

http://blog.greenflag.com/2014/diesel-drivers-need-know-dpf/

Last edited:

Lrd

Established Member
A mini rover- The small classic one.
I would love one as well but they are worth upwards of £4k for a half decent one.

Anything by VW is solid and is most certainly worth considering. I was looking to get another Passat but that's only worth getting as a diesel and even though I do regular trips to London I don't think I can justify getting one.

I'm looking at anything automatic at the moment as can't be bothered with gear changes. Going from driving automatic coaches and buses and jumping straight into the car to drive home was tough and I would often stall as my left leg hadn't woken up yet.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've got this white one but what I'd actually like...

Attachments

• IMG_2414.JPG
    IMG_2414.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2559.jpg
    IMG_2559.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 13

richw

Veteran Member

You won't get one on benefits street budget (or would you?) they go for big money now if in good condition.

richw

Veteran Member
In my experience the VW Polo is overpriced for what it is due to the snob appeal of the badge, stodgy to drive and expensive to fix.

A Fiesta of a similar vintage may well offer a more engaging drive and better value for money.

Worth test driving both and seeing what you prefer before you hand over the readies.

EDIT: it's also probably only worth going for a diesel if you do quite a high mileage, to realise the economy advantage, and do regular long drives to prevent the particle filter from clogging.

Small modern petrol engines run diesels close in terms of economy and are cheaper to maintain.

See the below link.

http://blog.greenflag.com/2014/diesel-drivers-need-know-dpf/

Agreed. If you want a polo save some money and buy a Fabia or Ibiza. Same car underneath, but initial outlay lower, or you can get a newer higher spec for sane money. None of the three are better than mid table in small car world.
I spent a lot of time in hire cars in my old job of that class and the 2009 (roughly) onwards shape Fiesta is probably the nicest of the cars I've driven in that class. The worst...the current shape Clio.

sk688

Following on from Klambert's discussion, for those of those who do not own a car or are actively seeking to procure a new vehicle, what model do you intend to purchase?

Please note that I'd rather keep this to a discussion about cars that you are able to afford and not dream cars as such. I've always had a soft spot for McLaren road cars since they started up, but for my first daily driver I intend to purchase a Volkswagen Polo diesel. This is with an intended budget of appx. £4000, and I would like to purchase one that is less than ten years old.

If it is your first daily driver , why not go for a VW UP

It is a lovely small little car , plus you can get examples from as recent as 2014 , for under £3.5k

If you went for the cheaper versions of these i.e a Skoda Citigo or Seat Mii , you could probably get a 12/13 reg car for £3k

If you go for the Polo , try to get the MkV polo (2010 or later ) , because these are a huge step up over the pretty awful Mk4s , tbh

Seat Ibizas and Skoda Fabias from this time will be cheaper , but they weren't much good around that time

imo , an Audi A1 would be better , as the interior is nicer , and running costs are ( relatively ) low . Speaking from experience , as we replaced a 2010 Polo , with a 2012 A1

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I've always said to myself that if I won the lottery I'd get a disgusting, intentionally bad-taste, luminous blue Range Rover Autobiography with bright yellow wheels and a daft personalised plate.

chris89

Established Member
Already mentioned in other post but here again.

Mazda 3 Sport Nav (Manual or Auto doesn't bother me)
Mercedes Benz A Class (Ditto for above)
Ford Focus (Again Ditto above)
Peugeot 308 (Again Manual or Auto)

Most likely choice will be the first one, basically due to equipment on it and the test drive had on it was great to.

Lottery win cars is a nice big list as already know what i want :P

RichmondCommu

Established Member
As a first time car (and assuming that you don't have a large family) go for a Peugeot 207 or 208. My wife and I bought our children a Peugeot 207 to be used as a "pool car" and it has proved to be excellent value. Cheap to run, cheap to maintain and by all accounts the engines last forever.

richw

Veteran Member
As a first time car (and assuming that you don't have a large family) go for a Peugeot 207 or 208. My wife and I bought our children a Peugeot 207 to be used as a "pool car" and it has proved to be excellent value. Cheap to run, cheap to maintain and by all accounts the engines last forever.

The petrol engines last forever. The diesel ones need regular long motorway style trips or suffer from EGR blockages at around £300 for a replacement if not caught early enough to clean.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Probably something like a Skoda Citigo, my next car won't be a diesel as my driving profile has changed in the past few years.

Established Member

I learned in a 1.6HDi 207 and it was a godawful thing to drive.
The steering was horrible, the gearbox was crap, I couldn't get comfy in it because of the seating position and uncomfortable seats, and the visibility out of it was rubbish because of the sloping front end and huge c pillars. Not to mention that hideous gob on the front end.
icon_puke_r.gif

It also had the worst engine - avoid the 1.6HDi like the plague because the turbo is made out of chocolate and fail.

Last edited:

radamfi

Established Member
As with all Tesla's (Teslii?!!)

In Dutch, plurals can often be formed by using an apostrophe when the noun ends in an unstressed vowel

http://www.dutchgrammar.com/en/?n=SpellingAndPronunciation.27

or you are making a plural of an acronym or a single letter

http://www.dutchgrammar.com/en/?n=NounsAndArticles.11

In English, we almost never use apostrophes to form a plural, except (like in Dutch) when making the plural of a single letter or when making the plural of "do and don't", although opinion is divided on that.

D365

Veteran Member
Thank you for your contributions all. I have driven a Fiesta extensively, it's economical and fun to drive, as Bromley boy has said.

I'm expecting that a typical journey will be about 40 miles to my work city and back, hence why I am considering diesel. And I definitely want something more comfortable and better suited to motorway cruising.

Status
Not open for further replies.