• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What causes arcing between pantograph and catenary wire in freezing temperatures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Glasgow

Question in the thread title essentially. Just curious if anyone has a detailed explanation? Is it just the moisture I’m guessing simply put? Might seem trivial but I’m just curious.

Does it have any effect on the train and the supply?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

a_c_skinner

Established Member
I assume ice causes the contact to break and like any contact broken when current is flowing you get arcing.

I've a vague recollection of some vehicles safety systems being tripped by this and the systems made less sensitive because of this.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Question in the thread title essentially. Just curious if anyone has a detailed explanation? Is it just the moisture I’m guessing simply put? Might seem trivial but I’m just curious.

See https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/overhead-line-arcing.98905/
Why does arcing occur?
I'll have a go at a simple explanation...

In normal circumstances the electrical current flows along the overhead wire or 3rd rail and it's picked up by the train collector - either by pantograph or 3rd rail shoe. When it's all perfectly good the collector remains in absolute contact with the energised wire or rail.

However, there's always some imperfections in the engineering. You'll never get perfect connections, especially at 100mph+, and there may be some small gaps between the wire/rail and the collector.

Normally you think of air as being an electrical insulator. However, when you have a high voltage (and overhead wire is at approx. 25,000 Volts) the air breaks down and electrical current can flow through that bit of air - that's the spark you see.

There is a whole bunch of physics and engineering you can look up - perhaps start with "breakdown voltage" if you're interested, but this is the absolute basics.

If the air contains a lot of moisture, or sometimes even very fine dust, then the ease at which these sparks or arc occur increases dramatically. In fact the most spectacular can be when the conditions are just right for most of the current to flow through the conductor/collector as normal but enough sort of leaks around the sides. Here you get a nearly permanent arcing. (The physics of it mean this won't really occur with the 3rd rail but can happen with the overhead wires)

What does it do? In almost all cases nothing. If any particular event though is particularly severe it could trip safety systems. Also arcing can have an effect of putting little pits into the materials used which over a long time can damage them.

In short, a bit of arcing is no problem and quite fascinating to watch. Lots of arcing can indicate that something isn't quite right.

Hopes this helps.
Mr Toad

AM9

Veteran Member

Ice, (at least 'clean' ice with no impurities in it) is a good insulator. So when the conductor wire has a coating of ice on the underside, the pantograph conducting strip which is made of carbon loses electrical contact with the 25kV supply. This layer of insulator is rarely continuous, especially on a line with traffic running regularily, so the upward force exerted by the pantograph 'suspension' finds areas of contact between the worst insulated parts. This upward force is typically by design, 50-100 Newtons, which is a force that is required to keep the pantograph head rising fast enough to follow undulations in the wire's height. Thus the continual making and breaking of the current (could be over 100 amps) causes arcing.
Clearly major interruptions in the supply reduce the maximum power available for the traction system, so the drive may falter. Modern traction control systems rely on semiconductors for their performance and it is necessary to protect them from surges that occur from intermittent power feeds when loaded by the motors. These protection mechanisms need to be robust enough to protect the electronics but not too quick to operate as disturbances such as arcing can cause them to trip and prevent the train from running. There is also the impact on the pantograph head which actually makes wire contact through one or more transverse carbon strips. These strips are sacrificial and designed to wear away (slowly) rather than damage the more expensive and difficult to repair copper/bronze contact wire. When the arcing is severe, the strips are subject to accelerated erosion which can mean early failure in service requiring the train to be taken out of service for repair.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Ice, (at least 'clean' ice with no impurities in it) is a good insulator.
While dirty water is a conductor, I guess dirty ice isn't. The mechanism for current to flow in dirty water is for ions to move through the liquid, and they can't do that if it's solidified.

Status
Not open for further replies.