• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What Class is this emu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ungreat

Its a class 502...the caption underneath says it is....

I remember travelling on one of those years ago,back in the 70's

delt1c

Established Member
Both 502's and 503's werebuilt without end doors. the 503's had end doors fitted when Liverpool central was closed and the services rerouted via the existing loop line.

They were quite nice sets - in an old fashioned way. Open stock, but various boxed in bays, and with adverts in frames - which seemed a bit odd.

When I was boy in East Lancashire (in the Fifties) my mother used to like to go shopping in Southport. My father couldn't stand shops (I've inherited that gene), so he hit on the idea of taking me on the electric train (you can't believe how modern/exciting that was) from Southport Chapel Street (as it was) to Seaforth & Litherland (which in those days seemed to be in the middle of nowhere). We then changed onto the Liverpool Overhead Railway and went the full length of the docks, which were heaving with ships and frantic activity. We normally went to the pier head, but once or twice down to Dingle, where the tunnel seemed to be in the cliff face.

All a long time ago now.......

Rgds

Status
Not open for further replies.