• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What class of steam loco is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

70014IronDuke

Established Member
B16 4-6-0?

Edit: oh, you mean on the right? It's an A3. Gresley, yes.

Last edited:

Vectorspace

I think you're right. I skimmed lner.info looking at the B, C, and D class pics, but discounted the B16 because the pic didn't have outside valve gear. Reading further and googling, I realise now that some were rebuilt with outside valve gear, so I think this is a B16/2 (Gresley) or B16/3 (Thompson)

Bevan Price

Established Member
I think you're right. I skimmed lner.info looking at the B, C, and D class pics, but discounted the B16 because the pic didn't have outside valve gear. Reading further and googling, I realise now that some were rebuilt with outside valve gear, so I think this is a B16/2 (Gresley) or B16/3 (Thompson)

Yes - it is a Class B16/2. Many of these were allocated to York.
The reverser control (the rectangular rod above frames level) was on the opposite side of B16/3s.

Status
Not open for further replies.