• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What do you usually say when people ask where you live or where you’re from?

When somebody asks you where you live or where you’re from, what do you usually reply?

• The name of the actual settlement where you live

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • The name of the nearest small town/city

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • The name of the nearest large or postal town/city

Votes: 37 41.1%
  • The name of the top tier local authority area or London Borough

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • The name of a lower tier local authority area (East Dorset, New Forest etc)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • The name of a former local authority (Avon, Humberside etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The name of the ceremonial county

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • The name of the historic county

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • The name of the official region (London, South West, Wales etc)

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • The name of an unofficial region (South Wales, West Country etc)

• I live abroad - The name of the country

• I live abroad - The name of the state/region in the country

• I live abroad - The name of the town/city in the country

• I prefer not to say

• Other (please specify)

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • “Between X and Y” towns/cities

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • “X miles north/west/south/east of [town/city]”

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Come from another country (but live in UK)

• Come from [state/region] in foreign country (but live in UK)

• Come from [town/city] in foreign country (but live in UK)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

75A

Established Member
(My bolding) -- unless they are, strictly at second-hand, big Robin Hood fans; so, think that Sherwood Forest is still huge :smile: ...
I'm much the same, I say Leicestershire and if they say Leicester I say NO, we live nearer Coventry than Leicester and our nearest station is Nuneaton. Claim to fame is Bosworth battlefield.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
I'm much the same, I say Leicestershire and if they say Leicester I say NO, we live nearer Coventry than Leicester and our nearest station is Nuneaton. Claim to fame is Bosworth battlefield.

Good conversation-fodder, maybe -- Richard-ites versus Henry-ites? (My feelings nowadays, tend toward "a plague on both their houses".)

LowLevel

Established Member
It’s a bit like living in Wolverhampton or Dudley and saying you’re from Birmingham because the latter is a more widely recognised city.
It's amusing you chose that as an example because I can guarantee you that no self respecting person from Wolverhampton and indeed probably Dudley would *ever* say they were from Birmingham :lol:

75A

Established Member
It's amusing you chose that as an example because I can guarantee you that no self respecting person from Wolverhampton and indeed probably Dudley would *ever* say they were from Birmingham :lol:
Deffo, when I lived in Wednesbury I'd always say 'The Black Country'

al78

Established Member
It is going to depend on the likely local knowledge of the person asking. If someone asks and we are in my county or a neighbouring county, I'll given my village, but if I was hundreds of miles from home, I would say the nearest town, which isn't far out as I only live a mile from the edge.

If someone where I live now asks where I am from, I say Salford, which has, once or twice, got the reply "oh, Manchester", to which I say "No, Salford". Salford is not part of the city of Manchester. Some might accuse me of pedantry but I don't care. You wouldn't say a person living in Scotland lives in England just because Scotland and England are next to each other and part of the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.