• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What does -ISO mean on the railway?

Annetts key

Established Member
And before anyone asks what a WET - BED is, it’s where the ballast has degraded and become mud. It retains water and is no longer able to properly support the sleepers to the same extent as normal. Often, a temporary speed restriction will be imposed that covers the length of the affected section.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashley Hill

Established Member
But that is exactly what it is!
(picture shows traksy panel stating WET - BED )
AIUI a wet bed is a condition arising from poor ballast drainage. The track bed becomes soft allowing vertical movement in the track causing pumping and wear to the ballast and a dip in the alignment which can be felt in the train. It’s most obvious give away is a white/grey sludgy accumulation on the track. Perhaps there’s a temporary speed restriction on that line and the display is to remind the signaller. Perhaps someone from the P Way can give a better description.
I see the S&T has beaten me to it above :lol:

I wonder what this one means?
View attachment 146959
Picture shows track berth at Cardiff Bay station showing RDRL on 19th November 2023.
Road/Railer vehicles on the line?

Couru

I
I wonder what this one means?
View attachment 146959
Picture shows track berth at Cardiff Bay station showing RDRL on 19th November 2023.
I know RDR means "rest day relief", a type of signaller that covers other signaller's rest days (i.e. working weekends, moving around signal boxes to cover for "resident" signallers who are on leave, etc). Doubt its related though since this wouldnt appear on the berths?

I

I know RDR means "rest day relief", a type of signaller that covers other signaller's rest days (i.e. working weekends, moving around signal boxes to cover for "resident" signallers who are on leave, etc). Doubt it’s related though since this wouldnt appear on the berths?
RDRL indeed will be a road-rail on-track machine as was suggested, and not related to a relief signaller.

DelW

Established Member
Oh I'm a proper idiot and didn't see I was only on page 1! Thought it was an unanswered question haha
I think most people on here will have made that mistake at some time, probably more than once ;)

FGW_DID

Established Member
I thought that signal berths could only show 4 characters? How they managed to type MYSTERY into a single berth is a mystery to me!

FGW_DID

Established Member
Maybe it's like when they have 2 services coupled together that split.
One as MYST and the other as ERY
That I could understand because it would be split across two boxes, perhaps there is two berths there but for some reason this app / website combines them and displays as a singular entity. :?:

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I thought that signal berths could only show 4 characters? How they managed to type MYSTERY into a single berth is a mystery to me!
I believe that's the way Traksy displays what OTT shows as two areas.
See the Traksy screenshot, which shows Exeter Central's 3 platforms, with 3 blocks.
1702931484964.png
And compare it to OpenTrainTimes, which has 5
1702931537536.png

Somewhere

Terminal platforms can display 8 - incoming train and outgoing. Some can display 12

Topological

The descriptors are quite fun to read when things are going wrong. There were a lot of different ways of saying that the track was flooded during the recent storms, for example.

This thread has been useful for explaining why there are sometimes *12* type codes appearing between *T3*'s. I thought those numbers on possessions must mean something to somebody and it seems it is the job number.

Lucy1501

Terminal platforms can display 8 - incoming train and outgoing. Some can display 12
One does find that rather interesting - most I've came across are split across multiple berths in the platform rather than one combined one.

The descriptors are quite fun to read when things are going wrong.
Or indeed when things are perfectly fine - I recently got to interpose my own name into a TD berth on a box visit! Signallers were very clear it had to be appropriate as some have gotten in trouble in the past now its all easily accessible to the public.

This thread has been useful for explaining why there are sometimes *12* type codes appearing between *T3*'s. I thought those numbers on possessions must mean something to somebody and it seems it is the job number.
I believe it is meant to be the item number listed in the Weekly Operating Notice.

Annetts key

Established Member
Certain station lines, loops, sidings or bi-directional sections or similar can have multiple "berths". On a traditional panel, typically only one would be displayed to the signaller. The others being classed as hidden berths.

So for example, with a permissive freight only loop, if it was long enough, it may be that it would be specified that the TD must be capable of handling three descriptions. The first train entering the loop would have it's description shown. But the second and third trains entering behind the first train would have their descriptions stored in hidden berths. When the first train exited the loop, as the description stepped forward, the description of the second train would appear :)

For bi-directional sections, there would be two hidden berths, and depending on which direction was in use, the display berth would show the contents of one of these.

With the advent of VDUs, there is no extra cost for display berths, so now, mostly, there are less or no hidden berths, hence a section my have one, two or three display berths...

OpenTrainTimes displays them more like a signallers VDU. Traksy uses a different layout to save space on screen.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
With the advent of VDUs, there is no extra cost for display berths, so now, mostly, there are less or no hidden berths, hence a section my have one, two or three display berths...

OpenTrainTimes displays them more like a signallers VDU.
Manchester Piccadilly has a number of platforms with 4 on OTT!
Screenshot from OTT showing Manchester Piccadilly, with many of the platforms having 4 berths for data to be written to.

Topological

Interestingly WET BED at Paddington seems to have gone. Be nice to think it had dried out.

All the signals are still showing red at Paddington on Traksy though.

Manchester Piccadilly has a number of platforms with 4 on OTT!
View attachment 148783
Presumably the Piccadilly platforms show 4 because they can have inward and outward codes for 2 trains?

Though, I have seen three using the same platform before so I do not know how it handles that. In such cases whatever was on the buffers was very much not going anywhere though.

Couru

One does find that rather interesting - most I've came across are split across multiple berths in the platform rather than one combined one.

Or indeed when things are perfectly fine - I recently got to interpose my own name into a TD berth on a box visit! Signallers were very clear it had to be appropriate as some have gotten in trouble in the past now its all easily accessible to the public.

I believe it is meant to be the item number listed in the Weekly Operating Notice.
At the risk of straying off topic, is the WON publically available somewhere? Don't work on the rails myself but a cautious newbie enthusiast.

JN114

Established Member
It shows whatever the signaller needs it to - ultimately it’s their “chalkboard”; as long as they understand what something means then that’s that.

Interestingly WET BED at Paddington seems to have gone. Be nice to think it had dried out.

The Wet Beds are still there; it’s just the signaller evidently doesn’t feel the need to spell it out on the workstation.