• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What does new EU law mean for rail tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
MSE said:
UK shoppers can no longer be blocked from retailers' websites in other EU countries and will be entitled to the same discounts as locals, after a new regulation came into force this week.

The EU regulation aims to end unjustified 'geo-blocking' – a term for when online sellers deny consumers access to a website based on their location, or re-route them to a local store with different prices.

But this doesn't mean the trader has to set the same prices across all of its websites, or convert them for customers – instead, all of its websites must be accessible to all EU customers.

The regulation also means that if you're travelling in the EU and buy tickets in person, such as to a concert, theme park or sports event, you'll usually be entitled to pay the same price as a local – so if there's a discount for under-25s and you're under 25, you would be eligible.

The new rules are being enforced by each of the EU member states, and so the Competition and Markets Authority is responsible in the UK for now.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/n...3.1305837565.1543860499-1599049585.1538385935

Does this mean we'll have access to any rail tickets which we can't currently buy (subject to not leaving the EU without a deal)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Smethwickian

I mean any ticket. I'm sure there's some areas where special rate tourist tickets are available and other areas where tourists can't get the cheapest fares.
Is this not already subject to regulation?
When Malta's bus network was overhauled and franchised to Arriva in 2011, did its two-tier pricing for locals and visitors not attract an EU investigation? Not sure what the outcome was because Arriva's ill-fated tenure was short-lived and the network was temporarily nationalised less than three years later.

etr221

There was (IIRC) a case more recently regarding lower fares for locals on one of the Balearic Islands, which AIUI was held inadmissible by the EU/ECJ on the basis that the requirement to obtain it was a card only available to Spanish citizens, and so it was in practice not available to non-Spaniards resident on the relevant island. Had it been available to all residents of the island, my understanding was that it would have ok.

My interpretation of the new rule is that any ticket selling operation (e.g. web site or ticket office) has to available equally to anyone from anywhere in the EU, so that (e.g., using a hypothetical example) I can - from the UK - use (and 'they' cannot prevent me doing so) either tickets.uk or tickets.fr to buy the ticket I want - and for a given journey they may have different offerings, I can choose whichever is better. And that anything differentiating between locals and non-locals, has to genuinely be so, based on residence (or such) - if by selling outlet, then it has to be available to the 'other' by them using the 'other' outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.