• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What does PPT mean, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan Mayen

Just attempted to use my Southern key card. It was rejected by the barrier (both out and in) with error code 57 (which I found out means; PPT INVLD - Location not covered by PPT, Barcode: NLC not valid)
Barrier staff cheerfully waved me through, and confirmed ticket wasn't valid at that station. But what does PPT mean, please?

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

akm

PrePaid Ticket. Refers to a season ticket or travelcard or anything like that.

mikeg

Established Member
Incidentally which ticket did you hold and where were you travelling to and from? Seasons often have more validity than passengers know or gateline attendants care to admit.

Jan Mayen

Incidentally which ticket did you hold and where were you travelling to and from? Seasons often have more validity than passengers know or gateline attendants care to admit.
Tonbridge -Portsmouth via Edenbridge or Polegate. I started a thread about this a couple of weeks ago:
The difference is I'm now using a Southern Smart Card, rather than paper ticket. I did not appreciate they issued such tickets which can be used on other operators services, but they do. Already used it via Guildford. GWR ticket inspection -no problem (app on phone). Ticket gates at Guildford, no problem. Data from gates shows up in my history.

And to properly answer your question...
It is a weekly season ticket, Tonbridge - Portsmouth via Edenbridge or Polegate. The station I was trying to break my journey at was Hastings. As I understand it, I can travel to Hastings to change trains but not break my journey, so the barrier was correct (to be fair, I was curious as to what it would do, plus I wanted to go to the local Sainsbury's. My thanks to the barrier staff for letting me do that).

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
The station I was trying to break my journey at was Hastings. As I understand it, I can travel to Hastings to change trains but not break my journey,
I'm not sure where you get that idea from - your ticket is either valid at Hastings or it isn't*, and if it is valid then break of journey is allowed.

*And the trusty National Rail journey planner says that it is valid.

Jan Mayen

I'm not sure where you get that idea from - your ticket is either valid at Hastings or it isn't*, and if it is valid then break of journey is allowed.

*And the trusty National Rail journey planner says that it is valid.
I got it from the Routeing Guide Instructions referring to Group Stations . From memory it says something like 'This extended availability is for Interchange purposes only', which to me implies I can change trains but not break my journey.

island

Veteran Member
57 Season ticket not valid at this location

But it is valid. Season tickets are valid for any intermediate journey.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I got it from the Routeing Guide Instructions referring to Group Stations . From memory it says something like 'This extended availability is for Interchange purposes only', which to me implies I can change trains but not break my journey.
It's a grey area.

However based on contract & consumer law, I would argue that it would be unreasonable to expect a customer to be familiar with that wording on the routeing guide. If a customer obtained an itinerary via Hastings and the ticket allowed break of journey, it could be deemed unlawful to deny break of journey based on an obscure piece of text in the routeing guide.

"IANAL" Disclaimer: although I do provide opinions to barristers and solicitors, and separately to my work, I do play football with barristers and solicitors, I am not a lawyer. There are a lot of questions I want to ask them, but given how busy barristers usually are, and given they would want to be very familiar with the relevant conditions and laws before giving an opinion, it's easier said than done!

infobleep

Veteran Member
Cubic gates don't handle break of journey on ITSO, well not until next month's software update.
So computer said it wasn't valid so staff agreed with it, even though it was. I guess how can staff know everything. The main thing is they let the person through.

So from next month will cubic gates be using the routing guide to work out if ITSO tickets are valid?

With some tickers there are some interesting routes people can take which are valid but not obvious so.

Status
Not open for further replies.