• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What freight trains do we need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EcsWhyZee

With the government (supposedly) now supporting a bi modal future for U.K. rail freight I had a few theoretical questions I thought it might be interesting to discuss.

Lets use the admittedly naive idea that if 25kV AC or 3rd Rail DC exists a given train will be fully powered by that method.

Under these conditions what % of freight (and which major routes) could we currently electrify throughout?

How much does the answer change if we provide trains that can go 50 operational miles (25 miles there, 25 miles back + reserve) on some other method (presumably diesel or hydrogen or battery)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr Hoo

Established Member
You have rightly identified that the majority of freight terminals are not electrified, hence some sort of bi-mode capability is going to be necessary for many flows. Several hundred miles of additional electrification on main freight axes would help though.

There is no current example of a meaningful battery or hydrogen locomotive suitable to shift a heavy freight train for 50 miles, so it would have to be diesel. There are only a few Class 88 electro-diesels at the moment. (I am discounting the Class 73s for this purpose as they are rather too small for most modern freight loads.)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I wouldn’t necessarily assume freight can make much use of third rail, most DC areas are operating with only just enough power to meet the passenger service.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
It’s almost as if what we really need is a couple of electrified exchange sidings next to terminals, such that the electric locos can drop in and a shunter-type engine can pull the trainload in the last half a mile.

And then on other flows, just swap locos at major terminals. Mossend, Millerhill, Carlisle, Tyne, Doncaster, Crewe (etc) all represent good examples.

popeter45

for intermodal freight wonder if a BMU akin to the japannese M250 series EMU's could work, pantos and transformers at each end with smaller engines thruout the rest of the train

Speed43125

for intermodal freight wonder if a BMU akin to the japannese M250 series EMU's could work, pantos and transformers at each end with smaller engines thruout the rest of the train
Where throughout the rest of the train? I don't think the loading gauge would permit underframe mounted diesel engines. Even fitting traction equipment underneath a current container wagon would probably prove impossible due to how low they are in the UK.

furnessvale

Established Member
Keep it simple. Don't tinker with the wagons with ideas of separate engines etc.

All future electrics should be like the 88. Last mile diesel to serve the sidings BUT with that little bit more diesel, as the 88 has, to get it out of the way should there be an emergency diversion etc.

All future diesels should be true bi-mode with a full electric capability alongside the full diesel. In the meantime, a class 66 should be re-engineered into a full bi-mode to prove the concept.

Energy

Established Member
A bimode locomotive will not be hard, a few manufacturers already offer bimode locomotives. Stadler have already built a bimode locomotive for HVLE in Germany which has 2.8kW of diesel engine power (for reference a class 66 has around 2.4kW) and can operate on 25kV overhead wires.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Where throughout the rest of the train? I don't think the loading gauge would permit underframe mounted diesel engines. Even fitting traction equipment underneath a current container wagon would probably prove impossible due to how low they are in the UK.

If they are using pocket wagons, they inevitably have air space over the bogies for obvious reasons.
But isn't the trend away from low-liner type wagons towards more conventional flat deck vehicles?

popeter45

A bimode locomotive will not be hard, a few manufacturers already offer bimode locomotives. Stadler have already built a bimode locomotive for HVLE in Germany which has 2.8kW of diesel engine power (for reference a class 66 has around 2.4kW) and can operate on 25kV overhead wires.
issue is German Loading Gauge is much larger than the UK one so they can fit quite a bit more for the same length, to fit same power a UK loco would need to be longer possibly needing to articulate in which case would be better as 2 loco's that can be controlled from each other

Trainician

I think freight should be fully electrified because freight only lines are probably only 10 miles or less are easier to electrify

EcsWhyZee

More class 88s and wire everything suggested by Julian Worth in that famous presentation that identified with maps the lines needed. F2N is of course the big one.

I don't suppose you have a link to said presentation please? :)

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I don't suppose you have a link to said presentation please? :)

Absolutely. There are a few but I will start with the best one by far imho.

On a conference he was just but one speaker and all the presentations are here. His generated most buzz: You can see he is number 3 - all are worth a read btw.
https://www.railwayelectrification.org/events all downloadable PDFs.

The Twitter feed lit up and his colleagues complimented him.
https://twitter.com/DavidShirres/status/1122923845177028608

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.