• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What happened to the "smart ticketing" thing in Manchester?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubyOnRails

I remember seeing a while ago all this smart ticketing stuff happening in Manchester and being able to use contactless to pay for tram fares and it was all coming "in 2014".

It's now 2015 and as I got off the metro the other day I noticed one of the posters again and decided to see if it was gonna happen anytime soon (you'd be surprised how many mets I've missed buying a ticket...) but the website hasn't changed and the social media looks abandoned*.

Anyone know what happened? Or did it turn into a big flop?

* = Twitter (@mygetmethere) last updated Jan 2015. FB (Mygetmethere) last updated Oct 2014.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
From what I see on the website (Tell me more > When it's arriving)....

2014 - Introduction for concessionary pass users on Metrolink

2015 - Introduction for paying customers on Metrolink (spring/Summer)

2015 - Introduction for igo pass holders on Metrolink (spring/Summer)

2015 - Introduction for contactless payments on Metrolink (later in 2015)

2015 - Introduction for Cycle hub members (spring/Summer)

2015+ Introduction begins on Greater Manchester buses (no definite date)

2017+ Introduction begins on Greater Manchester trains (no definite date)

RubyOnRails

From what I see on the website (Tell me more > When it's arriving)....

2014 - Introduction for concessionary pass users on Metrolink

2015 - Introduction for paying customers on Metrolink (spring/Summer)

2015 - Introduction for igo pass holders on Metrolink (spring/Summer)

2015 - Introduction for contactless payments on Metrolink (later in 2015)

2015 - Introduction for Cycle hub members (spring/Summer)

2015+ Introduction begins on Greater Manchester buses (no definite date)

2017+ Introduction begins on Greater Manchester trains (no definite date)

Only plans for summer I've seen on the Metrolink is they're closing St. Peters Square. Great :-;

Seriously speaking though, I saw that but I'm just curious if anyone has any other knowledge of what's going on because the whole project seems completely abandoned...

telstarbox

Established Member
If you look on the TfGMC (TfGM Committee) website there might be something in the sub committee minutes. Thought it would be up and running long ago!

Given how bus operators in GM seem to come and go, I did wonder how they would ever achieve full coverage on buses as TfL have done with Oyster and contactless. Metrolink and rail should be easier.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Given how bus operators in GM seem to come and go, I did wonder how they would ever achieve full coverage on buses as TfL have done with Oyster and contactless. Metrolink and rail should be easier.

Most bus companies now use ticket machines with a contactless pad for passes - those could at least accept other types of smartcard.

radamfi

Established Member

Maybe for buses it might be worth waiting for Greater Manchester devolution. Under deregulation the implementation is bound to be a joke. Chances are it will just act as a debit card and you will need to tell the driver the destination, making the boarding painfully slow. The only sensible choices are either flat fare, zonal fares where you press a button to choose the number of zones (like for example Copenhagen), or touch in touch out.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The only difference I have noted on bus fares, in my corner of Greater Manchester, is which route number you use, distance seems to make no difference what-so-ever!

button_boxer

Established Member
Maybe for buses it might be worth waiting for Greater Manchester devolution. Under deregulation the implementation is bound to be a joke. Chances are it will just act as a debit card and you will need to tell the driver the destination, making the boarding painfully slow. The only sensible choices are either flat fare, zonal fares where you press a button to choose the number of zones (like for example Copenhagen), or touch in touch out.

Trent Barton seem to manage OK with a touch in/touch out smartcard (Mango), the trick being that the touch out pad is separate from the driver's ticket machine on the other side of the aisle. As long as both boarding and alighting passengers keep to their respective left then those touching out don't get in the way of those boarding.

dnisbet

Just been thinking about this today and found this thread. My year season ticket seems to stop working at the barriers at Oxford road after about a month of use, contactless would solve this.
It does look like it's all gone quiet until they renegotiate the franchises.

Status
Not open for further replies.