• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What happens if you change destination due to disruption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumperkin

Bit of a theoretical one (already submitted delay repay however querying here in case WMR dispute).

A colleague was travelling from Euston to Worcester Shrub Hill (WOS) via Birmingham (WMR only advance ticket) on 16/10 leaving at 17:23 - should have arrived at 20:39).

The train was delayed around Coventry so missed the connecting train at New Street. Ended up catching 21:00 which got into Foregate Street (WOF) (not stopping at WOS) at 21:51. He could have waited in Birmingham until 21:54 and arrived at WOS at 23:01, or even changed at WOF for the 22:17 arriving in WOS at 22:19.

As he was on an advance ticket, should he have really gone to WOF instead of WOS (I think it would be a very harsh RPI to charge, but you never know)? I suppose should really have sought permission from staff at New Street. As it happens - final destination is equidistant from the two stations, so WOF suited as much as WOS.

Wondering as well whether there is leniency shown when there are multiple route options in delay situations. Moor Street to WOS would be a normal route but ticket was via New Street not Birmingham STNS.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
In this particular case I think the ticket would be issued to "Worcester Stns" rather than specifically to Shrub Hill. Only the train from Euston is reservable, so any reasonable connection from New Street or Moor Street to Shrub Hill or Foregate Street would be fine.

Pumperkin

In this particular case I think the ticket would be issued to "Worcester Stns" rather than specifically to Shrub Hill. Only the train from Euston is reservable, so any reasonable connection from New Street or Moor Street to Shrub Hill or Foregate Street would be fine.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. However, I think in this case both sections were reserved - please see clip from eTicket below (note neither give seats as this is the joy of travelling with WMR... you have to be on that train but no seat/carriage allocated.

Itinerary - Mandatory Reservations
16 October: London Euston 17:23
19:41 No specific seat Birmingham New Street
20:00 West Midlands Trains Birmingham New Street
20:39 No specific seat Worcester Shrub Hill

paddington

The ticket would be to Worcester stations and once they missed the booked train due to the delay I can't see how there would be any issue in this case. It was the same train company and it would be perfectly feasible to walk to the other station if they really needed to get there.

If really concerned they could have asked the guard for permission to travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.